Sunday, March 17, 2013

Favorite New Kid's Series

How about a fun series to get things started this week?  There are few series that have been on my radar recently.  Two are great new beginnings to some fun narratives, and one is the second installment in a series I have enjoyed from the start.  In fact, I have to admit that I may enjoy this second offering even more than the first!  So start your child's week off with a good book.  The first book I am profiling, Jinx, is probably one of my favorite new series of the year, so happy reading.


Title:       Jinx

Author:   Sage Blackwood

Target:    Grades 4-7

Series:     This is the first book in a planned series

What this book is about:
Jinx lives in the Urwald, a forest filled with magic, trolls, werewolves, witches and wizards.  When he is abandoned by his family, he is taken in by a wizard.  But Jinx is never sure if the wizard’s intentions are kind or rooted in evil.  As Jinx grows and realizes his own magic and power he must leave what he has always known to find out the truth.

Why I love this book:
Oh, this was a great story!  I hadn’t been reading anything really note worthy and when this book fell across my path I got all excited again.  There is magic, danger, friendship, and curses.  Who is a young boy to trust?

With twists and turns in the story, an absolutely endearing main character, great friend sidekicks and villains whose motives are always in question - this book is a wonderful ride!

Who this book is for:
Great for kids who like an adventure and a little humor.  Kids who like Harry Potter or Fablehaven will absolutely devour this book.

Final thoughts:
Without a doubt one of my favorite new series.  I will be anxiously watching and waiting for the next book!

To purchase this book, click on the following link to connect to Amazon: Jinx  A portion of each purchase goes back to support this blog.


Title:       The Quick Fix

Author:   Jack D. Ferraiolo

Target:    Grades 5-8

Series:     Yes

What this book is about:
The book is a sequel to Ferraiolo’s first book, The Big Splash.  We are taken back to Franklin Middle School, otherwise known as “The Frank.”  Matt, our resident detective and good guy is still dealing with Vinny Biggs, who runs the dirty dealings at the school: access to hall passes, test answers, and contraband sweets.  When Matt takes the case of a lovely blond cheerleader who is concerned when her boyfriend asks her to hold a piece of wood - no question asked, Matt may have bitten off more than he can chew. 

Why I love this book:
Ferraiolo has done it again.  His books embody the feel of the old time detective with swagger and a heart of gold who helps the dame in trouble, but of course our detective is in for more than he bargained for.  Ferraiolo manages to accomplish this mood while keeping the subject matter fresh and current.  A great combination.  

I actually enjoyed the sequel more than  the original book, because the original story had some moments when kids were actually being quite unkind to each other, and it made me feel uncomfortable.  However, rest assured, the message in these books is always positive - looking out for the underdog and doing the right thing is always the best course of action.

Who this book is for:
While you don’t have to read the first book, it does help because many of the original characters resurface in The Quick Fix, and you will enjoy the story more if you understand their history in the narrative.  This book is an engaging mystery, fast paced and has a lot of humor.

Final thoughts:
The dialogue is sharp and funny, with all the clever retorts I wish I could think of spur of the moment.

To purchase this book, click on the following link to connect to Amazon: The Quick Fix (Big Splash)  A portion of each purchase goes to support this blog.



Title:       The Cloak Society

Author:    Jeramey Kraatz

Target:     Grades 4-6

Series:      This is the first book in a planned series

What this book is about:
Alex is born into the Cloak Society, a group of villains who each posses unique superpowers.  Alex can move things with his mind.  He has been brought up believing that the Rangers of Justice, the protectors of Sterling City, killed his grandfather in their attempt for ultimate power.  In fact, the mission of the Cloak Society is not villainy at all, but revenge for the way society has treated them.   But Alex does the unimaginable and not only saves the life of a Ranger, but befriends her.  Will this friendship change the way he sees his world?

Why I love this book:
This book is almost like a younger version of the H.I.V.E., which is a series I love!  I think this book is a nice start to the series, with some tongue and cheek humor, great back stories that are intertwined well into the story and a good amount of action.  

It took a few chapters for me to get into this book, but once I was invested, I was hooked.  The most unfortunate thing about this book is the cover.  There is nothing like a young boy with a blue orb to turn a reader off.  I had to almost beg my son to read the book because he was so unimpressed with the cover art and thought the book would be too juvenile.  

Who this book is for:
Lots of action, so this is a good book for the Alex Rider crowd. 

Final thoughts:
A nice start to a new series - just please change the cover!

To purchase this book, click on the following link to connect to Amazon: The Cloak Society  A portion of each purchase goes to support this blog.



1 comment:

  1. My students are already wanting a sequel to The Cloak Society, although The Big Fix isn't going out as much as I would like. I don't think kids get the film noir idea.

    ReplyDelete