Friday, June 3, 2016

A Clever Picture Book for Kids

I usually post a wonderful book from the past on Fridays that may have been forgotten, but shouldn't be.  However, today I am changing things up because I have a cornucopia of books that I love that are overflowing in my office and I just have to get them on to your radar.  So next week I will return to the Flashback Fridays.  But today, prepare to be amazed.

I have a funny picture book this week, which is really an oxymoron when I write it because I rarely profile books without a sense of humor.  This one is right up my alley and challenges kid's assumptions, one of my favorite pastimes.

Don't forget to Follow One Great Book on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or by email so that you don't miss a single book that has a hungry lion surrounded by an assemblage of fury friends.  Can temptation be kept in check?

Title: A Hungry Lion

Author: Lucy Ruth Cummins

Target: Kindergarten - Grade 2

What this book is about: 
In this book a very hungry lion is surrounded by a bevy of fury animals and as the reader turns the pages the animals slowly begin to disappear.  Of course we fear the worse, especially when the lights go out, but instead we are treated to a surprise party for lion with a giant cake and all our furry friends in tact.  But sadly our hungry lion is not a fan of cake ….

Why I love this book: 
  • Oh I am a fan of a darker humor in kid books.  Kids love it when their expectations are challenged and the best part of this book is that they think the worst, realize the error of their assumption which then proves all too true in the end!  But our no longer hungry lion does get his just desert in the end!
  • The play with graphics and text in this book is wonderful.  The dark pages arrive when a reader has to make a decision about the outcome and can use nothing but their imagination.  The text which highlights the dwindling assortment of animals, cleverly begins to omit animals to the dismay of the reader.  Of course the ending which surprises the reader and teaches our lion a lesson is just perfect.
Who this book is for:  
Any child who likes Caldecott winner This Is Not My Hat will love this book.  Of course it is also great for kids who love a few surprises.

Final thoughts: 
There is always a bigger fish in the pond!

To purchase this book:
Click on the following link to connect to Amazon: A Hungry Lion or A Dwindling Assortment of Animals.  A portion of each purchase will go to support this blog at no cost to you.  Thank you for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment