Sunday, December 18, 2011

Happy Holidays

How thankful am I this year?

Thankful to my google and Facebook friends (I will never forget my first - Jane S.)

Thankful to my twitter followers (I will never forget my first - Jen D.)

Thankful for all your encouragement, and for that I remain humbled and grateful!

but ultimately I am thankful .... you are still reading this blog!!

So much to look forward to in the new year.  I am working on sports books, read alouds, great girl finds, follow-ups to Harry Potter and Percy Jackson, thoughtful boy books (not an oxymoron) and tributes to the Brothers Grimm, to name just a few!  I will be taking the Christmas week off and will start blogging again on Sunday nights starting January 8th.  Don't forget to follow me on twitter  or "like" me on Facebook to get regular updates.  Links are on the bar to the right!

I will end this year by posting two of my favorite holiday books, and wishing you all a Happy Holiday and a New Year filled with wonderful adventures and One Great Book.....or two or three!







Title:          The Latke who Couldn’t Stop Screaming: a Christmas Story
Author:     Lemony Snicket
Target:      Grade 1-99
What the story is about:


Imagine an innocent little Latke, put in burning hot oil to cook, who runs out of his house screaming.  He spends the next portion of the book running into an array of Christmas decorations, having to explain why he is not related to Christmas but in fact to Hanukkah.  The ending is pure genius, but suffice it to say that he finds a home who understands him.
Why I love this story:  


“It is very frustrating not to be understood in this world...everyone and everything should be welcomed somewhere.”  I love the message of this book!  I love that it is delivered in such a funny clever way.  I love that I learned about Hanukkah, which is not, by the way, a Jewish Christmas!  I love that this book made me laugh.
Who is it for:


Families who embrace the holiday messages.  Jewish families who need more clever Hanukkah books!
Final Thoughts:


I will never call a Latke hash browns!

To purchase from Amazon you can click here: The Latke Who Couldn't Stop Screaming








Title:          The Lump of Coal

Author:     Lemony Snicket
Target:      Grade 3-99
What this story is about:


A lump of coal tries to find his place in this world, while hoping for a miracle.  Sounds poetic, but this coal is an artist, dressed in a tuxedo,  who tries to find work at an art gallery and Korean barbecue palace.  He is taken home by a drug store Santa, put in a stocking and a miracle happens, his destiny fulfilled.
Why I love this story:


It is clever and funny with a dry sense of humor.  “Like many people who dress in black, the lump of coal was interested in becoming an artist.”  I like the message at the end that we need to look at the miracles in our life and appreciate them.  While not quite as good as the Screaming Latke, it still is a lovely holiday story, with just the right amount of sarcasm thrown in!
Who is it for:


Someone looking to expand their holiday library with an unconventional Christmas story that still delivers the Christmas message.
Final Thoughts:


A lump of coal in your stocking can really be a blessing in disguise!

To purchase from Amazon you can click here:  The Lump of Coal

No comments:

Post a Comment