Monday, May 4, 2015

Potential Award Winner for Kids

Today I have another potential award winner for you.  This book blew me away.  The subjects this book tackles almost feel too much for a middle grade story but they are handled so deftly that I never felt it was inappropriate for it's readers.  In fact, I had a hard time putting it down and was constantly rooting for the heroine!

Don't forget to Follow One Great Book on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or by email so that you won't miss another potential award winner.  Don't you want to be ahead of the curve?

Title: The War that Saved my Life

Author: Kimberly Bradley

Target: Grade 5-8

Series: No

What this book is about: 
Ada is a prisoner in her one room apartment in London.  She was born with a club foot and her mother uses her disability to keep her hidden away from the world.  Her abuse at the hands of her mother is deplorable as she cowers in fear of punishment from the smallest misstep.  When Ada’s brother is sent away to the countryside to escape the bombing of London in WWII, Ada sneaks out to join him and is sent to live with Susan, a woman who would rather not be caring for two young children.  However, behind Susan’s indifference, is a caring woman who grows to love these children, even if they have never learned how to accept unconditional love.  

Why I love this book: 
This book was achingly fabulous.  I say this because at times it is heartbreaking to read about Ada.  She is unable to accept Susan’s generosity, despite needing and wanting acceptance more than anything.  

I could not put this book down.  The whole time the reader is rooting and hoping for Ada, but she continues to sabotage herself and her chances for a better life.  

This book was also an insightful look the children of London during WWII.  I remember reading a book about this period when I was young and I was fascinated about this migration because it involved kids my age.  History as it relates to the kids reading it is far more interesting.

Who this book is for: 
Great for kids who enjoy historical fiction.  While this book deals with some serious issues, it does so in a way that is appropriate for it’s audience, however, kids will have to have a certain maturity to appreciate the bulk of the story.

Final thoughts:
 I think this book will certainly resurface when we start talking Newbery contenders. 

To purchase this book:
Click on the following link to connect to Amazon: The War that Saved My Life  A portion of each purchase will go to support this blog at no cost to you.  Thank you for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment