Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Find Audrey

I am a total sucker for a great cover, and the cover of the book I am profiling today had me hook, line and sinker.  Thankfully the book held up to it's illustrious first impressions, or what a waste if would have been!  I must admit that I had no idea the book would deal with such a big issue as social anxiety disorder, but it is handled deftly and with humor so while the subject is weighty the story never felt heavy.

Don't forget to Follow One Great Book on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or by email so that you won't miss a single book that you really can judge by it's cover.

Title: Finding Audrey

Author: Sophie Kinsella

Target: Grades 6 and up

Series: No

What this book is about:  
Audrey has experienced a trauma, and is now suffering from severe social anxiety.  She wears dark glasses constantly because eye contact is just too intense for her.  She is slowly making progress, but when she meets her brother’s friend Linus, he starts to help her want to get better faster.  Between her wacky, but loving family and a boy who sees past her problems, the road to recovery may just be possible, if not a little bumpy.

Why I love this book: 
First off, while the subject matter is weighty, the book never feels heavy.  Kinsella is able to infuse quite a bit of humor into her characters and the situation.  I loved that her family is together, supportive and loving as they try to help her get past this disorder.  Frankly, I couldn’t stop laughing at the mother and her obsession with her son’s computer gaming.  It made me feel that perhaps I might (just might) come off as a little wonky to my son who is a touch obsessed with video games!

We never learn the details about what happened to cause the social anxiety, although it is easy to surmise it was a bullying incident.  The author gets away without telling us, although I think I may have understood Audrey better and sympathized with her more had I known.  I also kinda wish it wasn’t a boy who gets her recovery going, but all in all this is a compelling and entertaining story, so I quibble.  Even with those things it was a can’t put down read.

Who this book is for: 
Teen/tween girls should really enjoy this one.  

Final thoughts: 
Great cover!

To purchase this book:
Click on the following link to connect to Amazon: Finding Audrey  A portion of each purchase will go back to support this blog at no cost to you.  Thank you for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment