Monday, December 14, 2015

The Joy of Losing

Ok, so today I have a good one.  Sometimes I read a book and I just can't wait to post it and today is one of those days.  John Klassen has become a favorite author of mine. You know when I am willing to buy the latest book instead of waiting for the library to get it in, that it must be good.  I don't have much room in my house for new offerings, so an author has to be incredibly appealing for me to take a gamble and add it to the hundreds of volumes that line my bookshelves.

Don't forget to Follow One Great Book on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and by email so that you won't miss a single author that warrants a space on my shelves, really the true litmus test of greatness!

Title: Losers Take All

Author: David Klass

Target: Grades 6 and up

Series: No

What this book is about: 
Jack goes to a high school that is fixated on sports.  The football team reigns supreme and Jack actually comes from a long line of illustrious high school players.  He, however, has never been particularly interested in sports.  When the new principal mandates that all seniors must play a sport to graduate, Jack and some friends create the C soccer team where they can loose with humor, but the school administration isn’t laughing.  Somehow, this looser team becomes the toast of the school and Jack isn’t sure they can handle all the attention.

Why I love this book: 
I adored the author’s last book Grandmaster, and this one did not disappoint.  It is full of humor and laugh out loud moments, but it also takes a serious look at the culture of sports in high school.  I liked that Jack comes from a family of athletes, and he is not against sports.  He and his father help provide a balance to the atmosphere, with other characters on the extremes.  

The secondary characters in the story were strong, and what could have simply been a funny book about sports became much more substantial with conflicts at home and clashes with the administration.

Who this book is for: 
Great for kids who both love sports and kids who see themselves on the outside of this culture.  There is something for everyone.

Final thoughts: 
Can’t wait for the next offering by this author, nor can my son!

To purchase this book:
Click on the following link to connect to Amazon: Losers Take All  A portion of each purchase will go to support this blog at no cost to you.  Thank you for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment