Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Travel Books for Kids

So many of you will be traveling this summer and I wanted to share a set of books that I loved to give my older kids when we traveled!  My kids adored them and I found out the publisher recently released a new set of pop-up books aimed at the younger set so that even the littlest traveler can get in on the action!

I have used the books on New York, London and Paris with my kids and Lonely Planet kindly  provided me with copies of both the pop-up books and the books my family has used for these three cities.


So guess what .... I get to give them away to you!  

Yes, from the comfort of your own home, you can enter to win a set of these fabulous books.  To enter, simply comment in the section below (don't forget to leave your email address) and let me know what city you are interested in ... New York, London or Paris.  I will draw names out of hat on May 30 and let you know if you have won!  How great is that?



Title: Not For Parent (Insert City) Everything You Ever Wanted to Know

By: Lonely Planet

Target: Grades 3 and up

What these books are about: 
These books are a little bit history, a little bit trivia, a little bit landmarks and a whole lot of fun.  With pictures throughout and information blurbs to dispense fun facts these can make even the most reluctant traveler excited about seeing a new city!  They are not guidebooks but a plethora of interesting tidbits that kids will love to share with their siblings and parents.  It is way more fun to be in the know.

Why I love these books:

- I have used these books with my own kids for our trips.  Generally my kids have been lukewarm about reading them before we leave because they don't have a context for the information.  But when we get to our destination and start seeing the places mentioned in the book they can't devour them fast enough.  They love spouting out the trivia they have learned, their new found knowledge of funny facts and their mastery of city history.

- These books give kids a lightheated perspective on the things they are seeing.  Places and events are so much more fun when the whole family has a better understanding of what they are observing, and these books provide kids with a fun way to the understand the place and the times.  After all, it takes a lot of time, money and effort to visit a new place so why not make it as fun and educational as possible, and by educational I mean learning about weird food, rats and snapping alligators.

Who these books are for: 
Great for all kids when traveling

Final thoughts:
Lonely Planet is also introducing a new series called City Trails for this age group.  I haven't seen them yet but imagine they will also be filled with fun facts for young travelers.

To purchase these books if you didn't win them (see above):
Click on the following link to connect to Amazon: Not For Parents.  A portion of each purchase will go back to support this blog at no cost to you.  Thank you for your support.



Title: Pop-Up (Insert City)

By: Loney Planet

Target: Preschool - Grade 2

What these books are about: 
These books are meant to introduce just a few landmarks and limited trivia to the younger set.  The pop-ups are very stylish and kids will have a kick finding the real places when they travel.

Why I love these books:

- These were not around when my kids were younger, but they are a lovely way to introduce a younger child to what they will see and get them excited when they find the landmark.

- These books end with a topographical map of the city with the landmarks in the book highlighted.  A nice way to orient kids and give them a general sense of where things are.



Who these books are for: 
Any young traveler!

Final thoughts: 
Wish I had had them when my kids were young!

To purchase these books if you didn't win them (see above):
Click on the following link to connect to Amazon: Pop-Up.  A portion of each purchase will go back to support this blog at no cost to you.  Thank you for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment