Sunday, November 18, 2012

Books for Kids that Pack an Emotional Punch

This week I am going for the three hanky read!  There are a few books recently that are beautifully written, but have had me balling my eyes out halfway through.

I kept putting this post off, because there never seems to be a right time to recommend the tear jerkers.  But maybe with the holidays approaching, these books will serve to remind us how lucky we are.  And while these books are emotionally charged, they always end with a sense of hope and understanding - something we can't get enough of during the holiday season.

So get your child a box of Kleenex and a comfy reading spot, because these books will stay with them long after the last page is read.

Title:        One for the Murphys

Author:    Lynda Mullely Hunt

Target:     Grades 5-8

Series:      No

What this book is about:
Carly Connors is being placed in foster care while her mother recovers in the hospital.  She has had a tough childhood.  Her mother loves her, but has had her own issues to deal with.  Carly has become tough and street smart to protect herself from the world her mother inhabits.  When she gets placed with the Murphys, her eyes are opened to a new way of life and love.  When Carly’s mother recovers, her future becomes unclear.  Will she ever be a Murphy?

Why I love this book:
I cried, and not once but three times, while reading this book - and I am not a crier!  The surprising thing is that this is not a sad story per say.  Carly finally breaks down her walls and opens herself up, and she sees what her life could be like, no matter where she came from.  But when you learn how she got there and what she still must overcome, it really breaks your heart.  And as much as I wanted the ending to be different, it really couldn’t end any other way (notice I am not spoiling the ending.  Bravo for me because it is really hard not to tell!)

This book is beautifully written, and I appreciated that I had never before read a book about a child in the foster care system (No.. A Series of Unfortunate Events doesn’t count.)  The story is a bit rushed at the end, but other than that I loved it.

Who this book is for:
Ok, this is the area that is concerning me.  I read this book as a mother, and it touched me that way.  I hope that kids will relate to Carly, and her issues, with the same empathy.  This book will definitely be too slow for some readers.  The impact of the book is in the development of the relationships and not any big action sequences.  For older kids who like a quieter book, which packs an emotional punch, this is the one.  For kids who like action, this book will not fit the bill.

Final thoughts:
One for the Murphys is a story that will just tug at you, and if it doesn’t you are already dead and buried!

To purchase this book, click here to connect to Amazon: One for the Murphys  A portion of each purchase goes to support this blog.


Title:        Bigger than a Bread Box

Author:    Laurel Snyder

Target:     Grades 4-8

Series:      No

What this book is about:
Rebecca is struggling.  Her mother has left her father and moved Rebecca to another state.  They move in with her grandmother as her mother tries to figure things out.  When Rebecca discovers a magical breadbox in the attic, which appears to grant wishes, she thinks she has found the key to make things better.   However, she finally discovers that everything she wishes for has to come from somewhere and as she begins to make amends, she figures out want she really needs.

Why I love this book:
This book turned out to be heavier than I originally anticipated, however I don’t want to make it sound dark because it isn’t, it is just real.  Rebecca is dealing with issues of separation and moving.  However, she is also facing things all tweens deal with, such as fitting in, and being yourself.  The magical element of the breadbox is just a tool in the book to highlight Rebecca’s issues and I think girls will easily relate to the feelings in the book.

Who this book is for:
Girls will enjoy this book and I think that they will appreciate the real emotions that Rebecca is going through.  This is also a wonderful book for girls struggling with the breakup of their parents.

Final thoughts:
Most problems cannot be solved by a breadbox of magical wishes.

To purchase this book, click here to connect to Amazon: Bigger than a Bread Box  A portion of each purchase goes to support this blog.


Title:        See You at Harry’s

Author:    Jo Knowles

Target:     Grades 6 and up

Series:      No

What this book is about:
This book is about Fern, a twelve year girl, and how she handles tragedy, her place in the family, her maybe crush on her best friend and a brother who is probably gay.

Why I love this book:
Ok, this book really threw me for a loop.  When I started it, I thought the heart of the story would be Fern helping her brother Holden deal with the bullying he was experiencing and his coming out to his family.  The book then takes an unexpected turn with a extreme family tragedy that rocks their world as they try to figure out how to assuage their guilt, and realize if they will ever find happiness again.  I know you are wondering why I am being vague about this tragedy, but it truly is a surprise element in the story and I don’t want this review to be a spoiler.

Fern’s voice is lovely, and while she deals with quite a bit, it never feels forced or victimized.  Her brother Holden’s challenges feel real, and her big sister Sara turns into such a stronger character than I expected.  Her younger brother Charlie is written just as lovable and annoying as little brothers can be.  I loved seeing the parents through Fern’s eyes and made me think about how my kids view my own actions.

Who this book is for:
This is not a book for every child.  It is quite introspective, so I imagine it appealing more to girls who like books about emotions and feelings.

Final thoughts:
See You at Harry’s turned out to be a much weightier book than its cover would suggest!

To purchase this book, click here to connect to Amazon: See You at Harry's  A portion of each purchase goes to support this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment