Friday, November 2, 2012

It's Picture Book Month

November is picture book month!  Bet you have been waiting all year for this one.  In honor of one of my favorite genres of book I am dedicating Fridays in November to the picture book.  Yes, instead of just my weekly Sunday night blog, you will now also be getting a Friday picture book post!  I know what you're thinking, how could I get so lucky?

Well, I have long advocated for the picture book, and I believe it is a wonderful part of a kid's reading spectrum.  Too often it is overlooked as something for younger kids, or as as a genre kids grow out of.  But I want to challenge that notion.  My kids are eight, eleven and thirteen, and not a week goes by that all of them don't read and get joy from several picture books.  They are book experiences we can share as a whole family and that may be the biggest gift for all of us!

So to start us out this week I am going with the funny stuff.  These put a smile on our faces and a chuckle in our bellies!  Behold the funny picture book:

Title:       Kel Gilligan's Daredevil Stunt Show

Author:   Michael Buckley

What this book is about:
Kel Gilligan is a boy who laughs in the face of danger.  Kel Gilligan is a boy who lives without fear.  Kel Gilligan is a boy who is a daredevil without care.  Kel Gilligan is about to eat broccoli (gasp!)  Is he insane?  Is he crazy?  Well maybe a bit of both.  But as he takes on the challenges of the bath, getting dressed by himself and the ultimate potty of doom, we see the courage it takes to face new challenges as you grow up!  Bravo Kel!

Why I love this book:
It was a challenge in my house to see if anyone could get through this book without laughing out loud.  No one succeeded!  It is so cleverly done, and all kids can appreciate how hard it is not to interrupt you mom while she is on the phone, or try new foods!

Dan Santat who has beautifully illustrated so many books this year, does it again with this book, bringing Kel to life.  His pictures are bold while perfectly exemplifying the comical horror and accomplishments of Kel's feats!

Who this book is for:
Any kid who likes to laugh.  If you like funny books, this is a must have!

Final thoughts:
"Come one, come all, for this awe-inspiring, spine-tingling celebration of the bravery of all kids."

To purchase this book, click here to connect to Amazon: Kel Gilligan's Daredevil Stunt Show  A portion of each purchase goes to support this blog.

Title:       The Three Ninja Pigs

Author:   Corey Rosen Schwartz

What this book is about:
A retelling of our favorite story, The Three Little Pigs.  Of course, the first pig learns some basic techniques of aikido, the second studies just enough jujitsu, but it is the third who devotes herself to the art of karate that sends our wolf packing - all in rhyme, of course!

Why I love this book:
Ok, first I am starting to think I have a thing for Dan Santat, the illustrator.  Two books in row...but let's face it, his drawings are larger than life, you can feel the action and they are downright funny!

This book made me think immediately of Kung Fu Panda, with some lovable but lazy pigs, a notorious bad guy, and the wise sister pig.  And I have to admit it is fun to see the girl save her brothers!

Who this book is for:
Anyone who appreciates the fact that Schwartz has turned The Three Little Pigs into an action adventure book!

Final thoughts:
Ninjas Rule!

To purchase this book, click here to connect to Amazon: The Three Ninja Pigs  A portion of each purchase goes to support this blog.

Title:        I'm a Shark

Author:    Bob Shea

What this book is about:
Spiders, yes you read that right!  Shark is just awesome.  How do I know?  He told me.  He isn't afraid of anything, and especially not spiders.  Running away from spiders isn't because you're scared, it's because you're smart!   Discover in this clever book that we all have things that scare us, even the scariest of creatures do!

Why I love this book:

It actually took me a few read throughs to get the full humor and cleverness in this book.  But I love books that have new things to discover with each reading!  I love that shark is so cocky and full of confidence, until a spider comes into the picture.  It is a great book to read aloud!  And no, Dan Santat did not do the illustrations, they were done by the talented Bob Shea!

Who this book is for:
Did I mention that this is a funny book post, so kids who like funny books, of course!

Final thoughts:
Is that an ant on the keyboard?  Why yes it is, but I am not afraid of ants, I just need to go pick up my kids at school now, no really I do.  Ten isn't too early! Gotta go!

To purchase this book, click here to connect to Amazon: I'm a Shark  A portion of each purchase goes to support this blog.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for participating! November is Picture Book Month. Read * Share * Celebrate!

    Warmly,
    Dianne de Las Casas
    Founder, Picture Book Month

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love celebrating the picture book! What a wonderful idea you have implemented! Thank you!

      Delete