Sunday, April 21, 2013

Fun Books for Tween Girls

Every once in a while I need to do a girl post.  I hate to stereotype books, because I truly believe that a good story is a good story that either sex can enjoy.  However, there are just some books that exude a girl vibe.  They touch on general female quirks and sensibilities, and they really won't be enjoyed that much by a majority of the male population.

I had a friend ask me the other day if I liked reading "girl" books more than "boy" books and I thought it was an interesting question.  When I was a tween, the books I am profiling today would have been at the top of my list.  These books spoke to all my fantasies and aspirations.  But now, not so much.  I love a great adventure, I have fallen in love with sports books for sports I will never play and I have even grown to appreciate a good sci fi story.

So I guess the moral of the story is that while the books profiled today may strike a cord in the tween girl, they are only part of a repetoire of books she will enjoy over the coming years.  Let her indulge for now and know that while these books are not award winners, they are strong stories with girls who have heart and a point of view.

Title:       Commercial Breaks: Famous for Thirty Seconds

Author:   P. G. Kain

Target:    Grades 4-7

Series:     Yes

What this book is about:
Brittany Rush has been making commercials since she was still in diapers.  However, when her mother scores an overseas assignment in Hong Kong for a year, Brittany has to leave all that behind.  Upon her return she thinks she can pick up right where she left off, but instead of still being the “it” girl, she is now just one of many pretty faces.  Can she discover what makes her special, and when she does, will that change everything?

Why I love this book:
Ok, lets not beat around the bush, this book is not winning any Newbery awards, but this story is one I would have devoured when I was in middle school.  It is surprisingly well written for the tween genre and it also gives quite a realistic view of what it is like to be in commercials, rejection and all. 

The cover really gives the impression that it is a bubble gum novel, which is a shame, because while not deep and thought provoking, it has enough substance and is engaging enough that I though it was a worthwhile read, and I do not suffer idiot books lightly.

Who this book is for:
Great for tween girls who like the idea of modeling or acting.  This is not a sugar coated version of the industry, despite what the cover would imply.  Nothing inappropriate, all good clean fun.

Final thoughts:
This book totally appealed to my inner tween girl!

To purchase this book, click on the following link to connect to Amazon: Famous for Thirty Seconds (Commercial Breaks)  A portion of each purchase goes to support this blog.


Title:       Heist Society

Author:   Ally Carter

Target:    Grades 5-7

Series:     Yes

What this book is about:
Kat comes from a family of criminals, high end art thieving criminals.  She has been helping with heists since she was three years old.  When she tries to leave that life and live like a normal teenager, she is pulled in again when a ruthless criminal threatens her father.  Can she and a band of young thieving prodigies steal painting from one of the most well protected museums in the world, and get her father off the hook?

Why I love this book:
Ok, lets be clear.  This book is not highbrow literature, but it is a fun ride.  Kat and her friends plot to pull off an Ocean’s Eleven type heist, and fool all the grown ups around them.  What is not to love.

There is the hint of romance, but it doesn’t dominate the book, and the fun in the story is seeing how they pull off the crime of the century.

Who this book is for:
Great girl book for those who also enjoy some exciting plot twists.

Final thoughts:
Just the book I would have loved when I was young.

To purchase this book, click on the following link to connect to Amazon: Heist Society  A portion of each purchase goes to support this blog.



Title:       My Life in Pink and Green

Author:    Lisa Greenwald

Target:     Grades 4-7

Series:     The second book was just released

What this book is about:
Lucy’s family has owned the Old Mill Pharmacy for generations.  However, with the rise of superstores, their small family pharmacy is on the brink of going out of business.  Lucy tries to help by offering skin and makeup tips, but her best idea comes after she joins the Earth Club at school.  Will it be enough to for them to keep their home and business?

Why I love this book:
Ok, lets say right up front that this is a fun girly book.  Lucy is a lovely, optimistic girl with the patience of a saint.  She is full of heart and trying as best she can to save her family business, taping into her entrepreneurial spirit.  

I loved the message that one person really can make a difference and the book incorporated some great messages about going green, something many tweens are focused on.  The advice on makeup was also one parents will appreciate, as Lucy tells girls that makeup should always be natural and simply enhance what they already have.  The skin and beauty tips at the start of every chapter was also a fun touch.

Who this book is for:
Great tween book for girls who like girly stories.  Nothing objectionable and a fun read.

Final thoughts:
This story was very well done for girls who like this genre.

To purchase this book, click on the  following link to connect to Amazon: My Life in Pink & Green  A portion of each purchase goes to support this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment