Friday, May 3, 2013

King Bidgood's in the Bathtub for Picture Book Friday!

This Friday I thought I would bring out one of the picture book classics.  This is a book I discovered with my first born many years ago.  However, don't let the "classic" title dissuade you.  This book is just as clever and funny today as it was twelve years ago when I read it to my son.

I don't even have a copy to photograph this week because the book jacket was lost years ago, and I suspect the actual book has been near our own bathtub more than a few times.  I actually wish all my books looked this bad, because it means it was well loved, and really isn't that the goal?

Title:       King Bidgood’s in the Bathtub

Author:   Audrey & Don Wood

Target:    Preschool - Kindergarten

Caldecott Honor Book

What this book is about:
King Bidgood has gotten into the bathtub and rue the day he will get out!  His court tries tirelessly to find ways to get him out of the bath, from calling him to battle to calling him for lunch, but the King always finds a way to conduct his activities in the tub!  It is not until a very clever page uses his wits, that the problem is solved.

Why I love this book:
First the artwork is gorgeous.  Every time I read this book I am blown away by the rich details of the pictures.  
But the heart of this book is just plain fun.  As the page cries for help, and the court continues to be befuddled on how to get the King out, we see them doing more and more activities in the tub.

The authors have used a repetitious format for the dialogue which makes it great fun for a read aloud.  The kids can predict the sequence of the narrative and it is wonderful to ask them if they think this next activity will finally get the King out of the tub.  Of course it never does and it is a raucous delight to see the characters perform that activity .... in the tub! 
The ending is a pleasure and doesn’t disappoint.  No I am not giving it away, you will have to read the book to find out!

Who this book is for:
Great book for all kids.  Full of fun.

Final thoughts:
The Woods have produced a prodigious volume of great children’s books, but this one remains my absolute favorite!

To purchase this book from Amazon, click on the following link: King Bidgood's in the Bathtub  A portion of each purchase goes to support this blog at no cost to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment