Friday, September 27, 2013

Anton and the Battle for Picture Book Friday

This week I get to talk about one of my favorite picture book authors that is not so well known in the U.S., but I hope that changes!  Ole Konnecke currently resides in Germany, and I am a huge fan of his deadpan humor, minimalist illustrations and all too true observations on kid behavior.  Well, maybe I should say human behavior, because I see adults in these books just as much as kids.  Perhaps that's why I have as much fun reading them to my kids as they do hearing them.

Don't forget to like One Great Book on Facebook or twitter for more great authors that you have never heard of, but that I swear to you are actually funny... no really!


Title:       Anton and the Battle

Author:   Ole Konnecke

Target:    Preschool - Grade 2

What this book is about:
Anton has returned for another adventure!  When he runs into his friend Luke, Anton immediately issues the challenge, “I am stronger than you.”  Luke will not be convinced.  As they carry on a series of one upmanship challenges with imaginary rocks, logs and dragons, their bravado is eventually shaken when the neighborhood dog comes by, scaring both boys into a tree.  

Why I love this book:
Ole Konnecke remains one of my favorite picture book authors.  If you haven’t enjoyed his other books you must check out Anton Does Magic and Anthony and the Girls, both just deadpan funny books.

I love that in this book the boys constantly try to get the better of one another with the silliest of challenges, but it is the little local dog that scares them to bits.  Of course when the dog leaves, the boys are completely unfazed and start their competition right where they left off.

My kids absolutely laughed at each new challenge as the imaginary contest grows more and more extreme.  This book reminded me quite a bit of Robot Zombie Frankenstein, another clever book about trying to get the better of your opponent, that elicited the same reactions.

Who this book is for:
Kids who like to laugh.

Final thoughts:
Of course what makes this book so funny is that it rings true to so many conversations you will find on the playground.

To purchase this book, click on the following link to connect to Amazon: Anton and the Battle  A portion of each purchase goes to support this blog at no cost to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment