Wednesday, April 15, 2015

A Deliciously Good Book for Kids

The book I am profiling today appealed to me from the start.  Perhaps it was the Twinkie Pie on the cover, I am a succor for sweets!  But it was a surprisingly lovely read and once I got started, I had a hard time putting this one down!

Don't forget to Follow One Great Book on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or by email so that you won't miss any of the books that feature recipes with mayonnaise, white bread and yes, twinkies.  I gained three pounds just reading it.

Title: The Truth About Twinkie Pie

Author:Kat Yeh

Target: Grade 6 and up

Series: No

What this book is about: 
Gigi and her sister Didi have moved from a trailer park in South Caroline to Long Island to improve their station in life.  Didi has taken care of Gigi since their mother died and after winning a big cooking prize they finally have the funds to make sure that Gigi gets the education Didi feels she deserves.  While Gigi makes new friends, finds her first crush (and enemy) and generally works to fit in, it turns out there are family secrets that neither of the girls can run from.

Why I love this book: 
Gigi is the perfect Southern girl.  I have to admit that I didn’t think there was a chance that she would fit into her new upscale school, but surprisingly that was not too much of an issue in the story.  The one enemy she does make turns out to best friends with Gigi’s crush and Gigi has stepped on to her turf.  

But Gigi has spunk and honesty and that rings true from the start.  The big reveal in the book actually took me by surprise (I expected things to go a different way) but in hindsight I can’t believe I didn’t get it!  If anything, I felt that she and Didi could have used more of the story managing the outcome of the truth.  The story felt a bit rushed at the end, but all in all it was a lovely read.

Who this book is for: 
Given the issues in the book I would probably recommend for sixth and up.  Spoiler alter: It turns out that Didi isn’t the sister but the mother and one boy very quietly comes out as gay, so kids have to have the emotionally maturity to handle these issues in the story, but they are very well done.

Final thoughts: 
The recipes in this book will give you cardiac arrest, but it was fun to see the abundance of mayonnaise and cheese spread, not to mention the ever popular Twinkie!

To purchase this book:
Click on the following link to connect to Amazon: The Truth About Twinkie Pie  A portion of each purchase will go to support this blog at no cost to you.  Thank you for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment