Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Mystery and Adventure for Kids

Today I have a book full unusual curiosities and oddities with a wonderful mystery attached.  For kids who like a good whodunit, with a lot of action and characters who have unusual talents, this is the book to give them.

Don't forget to Follow One Great Book on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and by email so that you don't miss a single story where being unusual is a valuable and treasured commodity.  And if you need more convincing, check out my One Minute Book talk bellow for an unedited view of this terrific story.

Title: Curiosity House: The Shrunken Head

Authors: Lauren Oliver & H. C. Chester

Target: Grades 4-7

Series: Yes

What this book is about: 
What if I told you this book was about a boy with super strength, a girl who reads minds, a young man who can contort himself into any space and a young woman who can throw knives with uncanny accuracy?  Now what if I told you they performed at the Dumfrey Dime Museum of Freaks, Oddities and Wonders?  Intrigued?  Well I hope so!  The museum acquires a a shrunken head that sets off a series of murders.  Is the head cursed or is someone trying to get to our four intriguing young friends?  Only time, and a few more corpses will tell.

Why I love this book:
  • I just thought the premise of this book was so fascinating, and it didn’t disappoint.  I loved the four main characters who are endearing, resourceful and damaged, but who manage to create a family where they feel loved.
  • The mystery was a fun one.  I must admit that I saw the clues coming, but as an adult reader it felt like kids had a chance of solving the mystery without it being too obvious.
  • This book includes a bearded lady, an alligator boy and a dwarf and the message remains that being different is valued and special.
Who this book is for:  
Kids who like historical fiction or books such as Circus Mirandus will enjoy this one.  It is a mixture of action and character development, so kids have to like both.

Final thoughts: 
I really enjoyed this story.  I can’t wait for the next book in series due out in May!

To purchase this book:
Click on the following link to connect to Amazon: Curiosity House: The Shrunken Head  A portion of each purchase will go back to support this blog at no cost to you.  Thank you for your support.

One Minute Book Talk





No comments:

Post a Comment