Friday, July 1, 2016

A Picture Book to Stop Summer Boredom

I usually use Friday to bring out a book I have profiled in the past that is still fun and relevant for your kids.  But this week I had so many picture books in the pipeline, that I decided to devote Friday to another picture book that I absolutely adored.

The author/illustrator Jonathan Fenske has popped up on my radar twice with his early readers when I was a judge for the Cybils.  His work, in my opinion, just keeps getting better and better.  If you are in the market for an early reader please check out his sentimental Love Is in the Air and his wickedly funny A Pig, a Fox, and a Box which I had too much fun reading with a group of First Graders recently!

Don't forget to follow One Great Book on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and by email for great picture books.  I want to remind you that no child was bored in the reading of this story.

Title: Barnacle Is Bored

Author: Jonathan Fenske

Target: Preschool - Grade 2

What this book is about: 
Barnacle lives under the pier and he is bored with a capital B!  How much fun can you have when the tide just comes in and out and the sun just goes up and down? I mean wouldn’t it be better to be a fish who can hang with the other sea creatures, frolicking the day away?  Well, Barnacle feels that way too until the fish gets eaten! You better believe Barnacle is no longer bored and perhaps even relieved with his lot in life!

Why I love this book:
  • I love the illustrations in this book!  The color, the simplicity and the expressions are all so compelling.  My favorite page is after the fish gets eaten and Barnacle suddenly realizes that perhaps things aren’t as bad as he thought they were. No words, just a priceless look from Barnacle that says it all.
  • The message in this book is timely.  We are bombarded with images that life for others is so much better than our own.  What a lovely way to remind kids that every person has his/her challenges, despite how things may initially appear.
  • This author just keeps getting better and better.  I have judged two of his early readers for the Cybils awards and his latest effort, A Pig, a Fox, and a Box was brilliantly funny.  This picture  book just shows his growth as he refines his messages into crisp, humorous and compelling narratives for kids.

Who this book is for: 
Kids who like their funny with a little irony and sarcasm will certainly love this book.  Adults will be willing to endure repeat readings with ease.

Final thoughts: 
I can’t wait to see this author’s next creation!

To purchase this book:
Click on the following link to connect to Amazon: Barnacle Is Bored.  A portion of each purchase will go to support this blog at no cost to you.  Thank you for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment