Thursday, July 10, 2014

We Were Liars Is a Great Summer Read for Teens

This is being called the book of the summer, and given it's setting on an island off of Martha's Vineyard during summer break, I can see why.  This is one of those books that holds an amazing mystery, and no one wants to give too much away.

Don't read lots of reviews for the book.  Read one or two and then pick it up or don't, but if you decide it is for you, enjoy the ride.

Title:       We Were Liars

Author:  E. Lockhart

Target:   Grades 7 and up

Series:    No

What this book is about: 
Cadence is a Sinclair.  She is tall and blond and athletic. Her grandfather owns an island off of Martha’s Vineyard where she spends the summer.  Only this year she is coming back after an accident on the island that has left her with amnesia.  As she reunites with her cousins, she tries to put the pieces of her memory back together.  As she starts to remember she realizes that her “perfect” family is flawed in so many ways.

Why I love this book: 
I just loved the writing in this book.  It is at times shocking and powerful.  The imagery and metaphors are so striking that at times I couldn’t help gasping.  But at it’s heart it is a powerful story of family, it is about the lies we tell ourselves and others and it is about love, privilege and manipulation.

I know I sound a bit evasive in my description, but I don’t want to give any of this book away.  There are twists built in that will leave you breathless and to spoil them would be criminal.

Who this book is for: 
Anyone who loves family drama, romance, the lives of the rich and famous and a good mystery.  Both kids and parents will plow through this story.  I read it in one day.

Final thoughts: 
A haunting book.  I wish I had the time to read it again.

To purchase this book:
Click on the following link to connect to Amazon: We Were Liars  A portion of each purchase will go back to this blog at no cost to you.  Thank you for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment