Thursday, November 6, 2014

Picture Books for 2015

This week I got to go into the big city and get a preview from the publishers of what books were coming out this Winter and Spring.  A big thank you to Baker & Taylor for hosting this event.  Because I had to pick up my kids from school, I had to miss some of my favorite publishers in the afternoon, but I still got to see so much that I am incredibly grateful.

Instead of going by publisher, I have decided to share my favorite picks by type.  Today I will give you the highlights of picture books that are coming out in 2015.  These are the ones that excited me and seemed to show the most promise in terms of getting kids excited about reading.  Throughout the week I will share my favorite chapter books and graphic novels and nonfiction picks.  Let me know what you think and which ones you can't wait to dive into with your kids!

Don't forget to Follow One Great Book on Facebook, Twitter, Google + and Pinterest for all the books that you can't have yet.  I know ... it annoys me too.

Picture Books







Vegetables in Underwear by Jared Chapman
This book features vegetables in their underwear .... it is a can't miss.   From serious to silly, clean to dirty these vegetables in their skivvies are funny.  I personally don't think the fruits could have pulled this book off, and let's not get started on the dairy products.




A Wonderful Year by Nick Bruel
Here comes a picture book that celebrates the seasons.  This didn't get a second look from me until they pointed out that the author wrote Bad Kitty and they mentioned the really cold winter, a demented fairy, a hippo named Louise and a talkative tree.  Now you've got my attention!






















I Wish You More by Amy Krouse Rosenthal
I adore Amy Rosenthal's books and this book reminded me so much of This Plus That that I was in love immediately.  I mean what book have you read recently that that has prose like "I wish you more will than hill."  How can your resist that?  Genius!





Mama Seeton's Whistle by Jerry Spinelli
I only got the most basic gist of this story during the presentation, but the gorgeous retro illustrations by LeUyen Pham drew me in immediately.  Also the author is Jerry Spinelli, so what is not to love?




Where Are My Books? by Debbie Ridpath
Debbie is a wonderful illustrator and the pages I saw of this book were absolutely hysterical.  Also, a story where squirrels abscond with a boys books and he must find a unique way to get them back, was just such a cute premise that I was hooked.  Can't wait to get my hands on the whole story!




Mustache Baby Meets His Match by Bridget Heos
I loved the first Mustache Baby book and this one looks like it will keep the fun going.  In this book Baby Billy meets Baby Javier, who sports a full beard.  Their oneupmanship begins as they see who is the most manly of babies.  Good stuff.

2 comments:

  1. Oooh! I wonder if Baker and Taylor does this near me. And if I can wrangle an invitation. What fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mustache Baby looks hilarious! I'll be watching for that one. :)
    I didn't know publishers did this sort of an event. Learned something new!

    ReplyDelete