Sunday, November 2, 2014

Teens and Fashion

The fun continues this week with more Tween fare.  I hope you have gone to check out Suzanne Bell's style blog for adults and tweens at www.asksuzannebell.com.  She has a review of one of my favorite books for middle school girls that you really shouldn't miss.  If you haven't visited, you can go now... I'll wait for you here.

Also, her advice on the latest fashion for your daughter is spot on.  I know I can't be the only one who doesn't always see eye to eye with my adorable little offspring.  Now if she could only do a post on how to make my daughter's soccer jerseys into high fashion, I would put her into the genius category. For now she will have to settle for being exceptionally good!

In line with fashion, I have a great series today that marries middle school, vintage fashion finds and history.  Do I have any takers?  I hope so because this series is intriguing and on trend.

Don't forget to Follow One Great Book on Facebook, Twitter, Google + and Pinterest for all the books that are in vogue.  And don't forget to check out Suzanne's blog, but only if you want the latest style advice for you and your tween.  If you are happy in those sweatpants then scroll on .. no wait, let's face it, she can even make your sweatpants look cute!

Title: The Time-Traveling Fashionista

Author:Bianca Turetsky

Target:Grades 5-8

Series:Yes

What this book is about: 
Louise is in junior high and she loves vintage clothing.  At an exclusive showing in her town, she is drawn to one dress in particular from the early 1900’s.  It has a history, and as soon as Louise puts it on, she is literally transported back in time to the luxury cruise ship where the original owner debuted the dress.  As she begins to live the life of privilege that the owner of the dress enjoyed, her excitement is cut short when she discovers she is actually on the Titanic!

Why I love this book: 
First off, the illustrations in this book are delicious.  Sandra Suy has created a visual treat, and I get way too excited when I turn to a page with her lovely work.  Luckily the illustrations are plentiful for a chapter book.

I also enjoyed the history presented in the story.  For kids who aren’t as familiar with all the details of the Titanic, this will give them a nice historical perspective and some fun tidbits of gossip from the actual event.  

Who this book is for: 
While you will find this book in the teen section, don’t be alarmed.  I actually think it is misclassified.  Louise is squarely in middle school and the events, language and action are all appropriate for a younger audience.  The chapters are also short and easily digestible.

Final thoughts:
I would have read this book for the illustrations alone.  I wish more chapter books would incorporated visuals such as this.  Even big kids like a few pictures!

To purchase this book:
Click on the following link to connect to Amazon: The Time-Traveling Fashionista  A portion of each purchase goes back to support this blog at no cost to you.  Thank you for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment