Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Wonderful Fantasy Book for Kids

Fantasy books are really hit or miss for me.  I probably fall more clearly in the realistic fiction camp, so I am willing to give more leeway to those stories, while fantasy books have to be exceptionally good to get the thumbs up from me.  Try as I might to be balanced, there are always a few biases that creep in ...

The good new is, for those of you who have kids who love being taken away to another world, well I bring you only the books that pass my ridiculously high bar.  Luckily there is some good stuff brewing out there, so buckle up.  It's a good ride, especially today with The Luck Uglies.

I have included the official book trailer below so check it out!

Don't forget to Follow One Great Book on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or subscribe by email so you won't miss a trip to a land full of Bog Noblins.  Imagination is a wonderful thing.

Title:The Luck Uglies

Author:Paul Durham

Target:Grades 4-7

Series:This is the first book in a planned trilogy

What this book is about: 
Rye has grown up in Drowning with her mother and sister.  She has no memory of when the Bog Noblins terrorized the town and only knows that the Luck Uglies chased them away, only to be banished themselves by the Earl.  However, an encounter with a wayward Bog Noblin makes Rye realize that everything she knows may be wrong and that the good guys and bad guys are not so easy to recognize.

Why I love this book: 
This book is wonderfully written, the characters are appealing and complex and there is some humor to lighten up the scary parts of the story.  I was on the edge of my seat with this one, and I can’t say there was a single character I didn’t appreciate!

Durham has created this rich and spooky world, but even more than that he got me invested in this story and completely wrapped up in these characters.  Of course there is plenty of action, humor, monsters and secret societies.  What is not to love?

Who this book is for:
Great for any kid who loves the fantasy genre.  This book is a perfect fit for kids who loved The Night Gardner and How to Catch a Bogle.

Final thoughts: 
The cover did nothing for me and I would probably not have picked the book up if it hadn’t been chosen as a Cybils finalist for Elementary and Middle Grade Speculative Fiction.  Check out all the contenders here: Cybils

To purchase this book:
Click on the following link to connect to Amazon: The Luck Uglies  A portion of each purchase will go back to support this blog at no cost to you.  Thank you for your support.




No comments:

Post a Comment