Monday, January 20, 2014

How to Catch a Bogle for Middle Grade Monday

I am shaking things up a little this week with a book that may not look that appealing at first glance,  but pleaseeeeeeee, don't judge this book by its cover.  I hope you know by now that I wouldn't steer you wrong.  If I am being honest, I wasn't all that jazzed to read it at first glance either, but boy am I glad I did.  Read it one sitting I did, yup, just that good.

I have included the book trailer below for your enjoyment.

Don't forget to like One Great Book on Facebook and Twitter for all the books that look horrible at first glance but turn out to be page turners.

Title:       How to Catch a Bogle

Author:   Catherine Jinks

Target:    Grades 4-8

Series:     First book in a planned trilogy

What this book is about: 
In Victorian London there are bogles who lurk about and consume children … yes you read that right!  Birdie is an orphan who is an apprentice to a bogler (a bogle exterminator if you will.)   However, when it is discovered that someone is trying to catch and control the bogles in London, and using children as bait, Birdie and her boss Alfred know they must put themselves in harms way to stop this villainy.  

Why I love this book:
The premise of the book seemed a little dark to me so I put off reading this one for a while.  However the reviews were glowing so I finally picked it up, and promptly never put it down.  Yep, read the whole thing in one sitting.  While the idea of monsters that eat children may stop you from getting this book … don’t let it.  The book has a definite sense of humor and is written much more to entertain than to scare.  The stakes get higher and higher with each bogle encounter and kids will delight in a can’t put down read as the story reaches a wonderful climax.

Additionally, the setting in Victorian London does remove any day to day terror regarding bogles at home, but the scare in this book is definitely more of the suspenseful kind.

Who this book is for:
Fun book for most kids.  If they liked The Screaming Staircase this book is a no brainer for a next read.  This book would also make a fun read aloud.

Final thoughts: 
Really bad cover art.  This one does not say pick me up and read me, so parents, you will have to do that.  I know, more work for you!

To purchase this book:
Click on the following link to connect to Amazon: How to Catch a Bogle  A portion of each purchase goes back to support this blog at no cost to you.



No comments:

Post a Comment