Wednesday, July 15, 2015

The Amazing Fly

I haven't profiled a nonfiction book in a while and this funny one came across my desk.  While I can't say that the housefly was at the top of my "must know" list, I was pleasantly surprised by the humor and how much information it contained.  Of course, hearing it from the fly's mouth made it just that much more personal!

Don't forget to Follow One Great Book on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or by Email so that your won't miss a single tribute to the most annoying daily pest to grace our home when we open the windows in the summer.  I guess I might just see them in a whole new light ... or not!

Title: I, Fly

Author: Bridget Heos

Target: Grades 1-3

Series: No

What this book is about:  
Well the fly of course!  Fly is bummed because the school kids are all studying the beautiful butterfly - again.  Well the fly also goes through an amazing metamorphosis and their wings make cool noises (unlike butterflies).  The good news is that flies don’t throw up all their food (Yea!  Only solids!) but they do spread disease.  However, take heart, because the fly maggots keep the world a much cleaner place by eating our trash.  The fly is really worth studying after all.

Why I love this book:  
I love that the book is narrated by our poor understudied housefly who is just trying to keep up with the all too popular butterfly. It isn’t often that the fly gets his due, but in this book kids will learn a lot about an insect that they encounter on a daily basis.

Kids will get exposed to the concept of metamorphosis, and understand where flies go in the winter … you kinda wonder  too don’t you?  I won’t spoil the surprise!  The author doesn’t shy away from the less than pleasant qualities of the fly so don’t worry that your kids will want a new pet.

Who this book is for: 
Fun book for kids interested in nonfiction. It is a clever and funny introduction to this insect.

Final thoughts: 
With 500 babies born per fly, I am thankful that the survival rate is not all that high!

To purchase this book:
Click on the following link to connect to Amazon: I, Fly: The Buzz About Flies and How Awesome They Are  A portion of each purchase goes to support this blog at no cost to you.  Thank you for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment