Monday, August 3, 2015

Early Chapter Book for the Young Foodie

I have been taking a few weeks off from my more rigorous schedule of blogging for a summer respite.  I need to get my book batteries charged!  My hope is to have some fun new features in the new school year.  I want your kids to love books, so I will always be on the hunt for the best and the funniest to keep them reading up a storm!

This next week I will be pulling out some reviews I wrote over the last year that just got lost in the shuffle.  They got overshadowed by the latest and greatest book to catch my attention ... I am kind of like my dog that way, my focus shifts quickly when something new and shiny gets waved in my direction!  So this is a lovely week to clean house and get some of these well deserving books the attention they need.

Don't forget to Follow One Great Book on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or by email so that you will never miss a chance to find that book your child won't put down. Tempting isn't it?

Title: Phoebe G. Green: Lunch Will Never Be the Same

Author: Veera Hiranandani

Target: Grades 1-3

Series: Yes

What this book is about: 
When a new student, Camille, arrives from France, she brings with her some unusual lunch choices.  While other kids tease her for her blue cheese and duck leftovers, Phoebe is intrigued and wants to try.  It is so different from the spaghetti, pizza and salad in a bag that is her family’s usual fare.  However, as her friendship with Camille grows, her best friend Sage starts to feel a little left out.  Can she be good friends with more than one person at a time?

Why I love this book: 
I really liked the food twist in this story.  While the overall theme of the book relates to issues of friendship, it is wrapped up in a delicious message of trying new things, liked smoked salmon!  Even the next book looks at where food comes from so the messages about good eating are continued.

All the characters felt very authentic.  Phoebe is looking to try new things while all Camille wants is to have a typical American meal.  I will note that Sage is a boy, so it helps make the story more gender neutral, even though the cover looks a little girly.

Who this book is for: 
Great for kids who are reading early chapter books.  The type is large and there are full page pictures every three or four pages.  Phoebe also makes lists which breaks up the text as well.

Final thoughts: 
I actually went to a French school and Brie and french bread were de rigor for lunch, so I am starting to realize that perhaps my childhood was anything but typical!

To purchase this book:
Click on the following link to connect to Amazon: Lunch Will Never Be the Same! #1 (Phoebe G. Green)  A portion of each purchase will go back to support this blog at no cost to you.  Thank you for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment