Friday, August 7, 2015

Fun Early Chapter Book Series

Yes, sometimes even I am late to the party.  The series I am looking at today has been around a while, but I am just getting to it.  Perhaps it's because the early titles just didn't inspire me, perhaps I just had too much on my plate but as I like to say, better late than never!

Don't forget to Follow One Great Book on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or by email so that you learn about the best books for your child ... even if it is a few years late!  The good news is that there are now twenty three books in the series to chose from!

Title: GameTime, Mallory!

Author: Laurie Friedman

Target: Grades 2-4

Series: Yes

What this book is about: 
Mallory is in fourth grade and when she gets a flyer about a new girl’s basketball league she is so excited to join.  She has never been on a team before and she can’t wait to try it.  But when her best friends decide not to try out, and the two girls she hates in her class turn out to be on her team, her enthusiasm is diminished.  Add to that her lack of ability in basketball, and she isn’t so sure this team is for her.  But she works hard, and despite being the weakest player, she realizes that there are some benefits to playing together.

Why I love this book: 
This series has been around for quite some time, I just hadn’t had the chance to pick it up.  However, the new cover with the main character Mallory on a basketball team motivated me to give this book a try.  My daughter is a soccer player, and after seeing her positive experience with team sports and the role models she has with the Women’s National Soccer Team, I know what a benefit sports can be for girls.  This book did not disappoint.

I love that Friedman made Mallory the worst player.  She improves with hard work but so many girls are scared to try sports because they don’t want to be bad at something.  This book will let them see they can get benefits from a team, even if they aren’t the star.  

Who this book is for: 
Great for girls moving up from beginning chapter books.  While there are many books in the series, you do not have to read them in order.

Final thoughts: 
I wish I had discovered this series when my daughter was younger!

To purchase this book:
Click on the following link to connect to Amazon: Game Time, Mallory!  A portion of each purchase goes to support this blog at no cost to you.  Thank you for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment