Monday, March 24, 2014

Book for Kids who Love Adventure on the High Seas

Ahoy mateys!  Today I have a swashbuckling adventure.  I love a story full of excitement and intrigue that manages to never take itself too seriously.  And really, how can you not like a story with a real, bonified treasure map?  This book is definitely for kids who like excitement on the high seas.

Don't forget to Like One Great Book on Facebook or Twitter for all the books that let me type in pirate speak.  Aye, I be telling you that this here book is good, or I'll walk the plank!  I am actually wearing an eye patch while typing this ... no really ... ok, not so much.

Title:       The Very Nearly Honorable League of Pirates: Magic Marks the Spot

Author:   Caroline Carlson

Target:    Grades 3-6

Series:     This is the first book in a planned series

What this book is about: 
Hilary Westfield dreams of being a pirate, but with a father who is an Admiral in the Royal Navy, a Very Nearly Honorable League of Pirates who doesn’t accept women and her impending start at Miss Pimm’s Finishing School, her prospects look bleak.  But she is not one to let anything stop her and sets out on her own to join a pirate crew.  What she doesn’t know is that it will embroil her in the search for the ultimate magic treasure and that she and her crew are not the only ones looking for this very valuable stash!

Why I love this book: 
Well besides the obvious scalawags and scoundrels, this book was pirate fun.  Hilary is vivacious and spunky enough to appeal to both boys and girls.  Her magic gargoyle provides plenty of comic relief to keep the story comical and silly.  With lots of action, as well as some twists that will surprise younger kids, this book is spot on.

The one area that concerns me a bit are the letters at the end of each chapter.  While I enjoyed how they brought in another perspective to the story that I think will provide revelations for kids, they are written in cursive.  I imagine that children will struggle with reading them.  I know my kids struggle reading their grandmother’s cursive birthday cards, let alone a two page letter.

Who this book is for: 
Kids who like action, humor and pirates.  The fact that the main character is a girl is absolutely irrelevant to the enjoyment of this story.

Final thoughts: 
Well shiver me timbers, this book is a very nearly honorable adventure!

To purchase this book:
Click on the following link to connect to Amazon: The Very Nearly Honorable League of Pirates #1: Magic Marks the Spot  A portion of each purchase goes to support this blog at no cost to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment