Friday, March 7, 2014

Teen Boys Read

This Friday I thought I would post a book from a few years back that is a great pick for a reluctant middle/high school reader.  When I first reviewed this book, I was disappointed that it was so short.  However, now that I have a high school son who can't find a lot of time for independent reading, I appreciate that he can pick this book up and read it in one evening.  Their schedules are just so packed that reading often gets shunted to the side - but they have no excuse with this funny, engaging story!

Don't forget to Like One Great Book on Facebook and Twitter for books that will appeal to the reluctant reader.  Imagine your high school son with his nose in a book he actually wants to read ... well, you won't have to if you give him this one!

Title:       12 things to Do Before You Crash and Burn

Author:  James Proimos

Target:   Grade 7 and up

Series:    No

What this book is about:
Hercules Martino’s father has just passed away, bit the dust, died.  His mother sends him to his Uncle Anthony’s house for two weeks were he plans to just lie around, but his Uncle has other ideas.  He receives a to do list with 12 things he must accomplish.  While his first reaction is to ignore the list, fate has a different plan.

Why I love this book:
This is a sprite of a book, and by that I do not mean cute, but little in size with a lot of personality.  At only 121 smaller than average pages, I was completely surprised at how much story the author gets in there!  Hercules is brash and snarky, but he also very likable and shows his vulnerability at just the right times.  The gimmick of twelve items on a to do list sucked me in right away, and I found myself having fun seeing the ways in which each task got completed.  

While small, the book does deal with death, father and son relationships, and finding different sides of your personality.  

Who this book is for:
Most kids in the target range will read this book in one day.  Because of the language and the maturity of Hercules I wouldn’t recommend it for a younger audience.  Reluctant readers will enjoy the fact that the chapters are short and compact and the voice in the book is very engaging.

Final thoughts:
I kept thinking how interesting it would be to give my older kids a list to see what they could discover.

To purchase this book:
Click on the following link to connect to Amazon: 12 Things to Do Before You Crash and Burn  A portion of each purchase goes to support this blog at no cost to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment