Tuesday, March 25, 2014

My Favorite Early Chapter Book

I think the beginning chapter book is one of the hardest books to do well!  How can an author develop characters, create a great setting and orchestrate an engaging plot, in sixty pages, with short chapters and lots of illustrations?  I struggled alot finding books in this genre for my kids!  

However, this one is a winner and it never gets enough attention.  The new installment Lulu's Mysterious Mission will be out in two weeks and I can't wait.  Of course her second book Lulu Walks the Dogs is also terrific.  Can you see I am a fan?  You will be too as soon as you pick up these clever, laugh out loud books.


Title:          Lulu and the Brontosaurus
Author:     Judith Viorst
Target:      K-2

Series:       Yes
What this book is about
 Lulu is a spoiled girl who wants a brontosaurus for her birthday.  When her parents refuse, she goes out to get one for herself.  Her confidence is shaken when the brontosaurus decides, that in fact, Lulu would make a great pet for him!
Why I love it 
This is such a fun early chapter book and also a great read aloud.  The illustrations from Lane Smith are some of my favorites.  The author makes this story even more fun, when she inserts her opinions into the book, (“Okay, so snakes don’t talk.  But in my story, they do”)  She also provides three different endings as she works to get the story right, much to the delight of my daughter!
Who it is for 
Kids just starting chapter books.  Short chapters and fun illustrations.  This book is definitely for boys and girls.
Final thoughts:  
We checked this book out of the library, and my daughter would not return it until I promised to buy a copy for the house!  A truly fun story line and reader interaction which keeps a kid wanting more! 

To purchase this book:
Click on the following link to connect to Amazon: Lulu and the Brontosaurus  A portion of each purchase will go to support this blog at no cost to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment