Monday, October 27, 2014

Best Alternative to Diary of a Wimpy Kid

I just love it when one of my favorite authors comes out with a sequel.  However there is always a moment of trepidation.   What if the second book doesn't live up to the first?  In this case my fears were completely unfounded and I am thrilled that Tim Carvell has returned to Planet Tad.  If it were an actual place, I think I might live there.

Don't forget to Follow One Great Book on Facebook, Twitter, Google + and Pinterest for all the books that promise to take you to a fictional planet but then turn out to be metaphorical.

Title:       Return to Planet Tad

Author:  Tim Carvell

Target:   Grades 4-8

Series:    Yes

What this book is about: 
Tad is back and better than ever.  This book is made up of his daily blog posts which reflect his challenges in 8th grade and high school and his musing of life in general.  Who can resist a daily post that shares his trip to Bed Bad & Beyond.  “We got kicked out … today, but it’s not really our fault.  The sign very clearly said “Throw Pillows””

Why I love this book: 
This book reads like a really funny stand up comedy act.  The one line zingers at the end of his stories, his hilarious  recounting of his days filled with challenges and his reflections on life in general will leave kids giggling the entire time.  I adore his deadpan humor.  Tad is a good kid with really funny insights.

Tim Carvell , the author, is a writer for the Daily Show so he does funny well.  This book is based on a series he does for Mad Magazine, but it is surprisingly tame despite it’s origins.  These books are fabulous.

Who this book is for:
The book is set up with daily blog entries, so it is an easy read that won’t feel overwhelming for kids who are more timid readers.   While this is the second book in the series, you do not have to read them in order. 

This book is a great alternative for kids who are hooked on Diary of a Wimpy Kid or Big Nate.  

Final thoughts: 
Get this book.  Well, perhaps I should clarify that it is only for kids who like to laugh.  If you don’t have one of those move on.  That’s right, keep walking.

To purchase this book:
Click on the following link to connect to Amazon: Return to Planet Tad  A portion of each purchase will go back to support this blog at no cost to you.  Thank you for your support.

1 comment:

  1. I liked Big Nate more than I liked the first book to this. There wasn't as much plot as I tend to prefer! And I have to laugh-- when I see your profile picture, I now think "I met her!" Kidlitcon was such fun!

    ReplyDelete