Wednesday, October 8, 2014

My Caldecott Frontrunner

I have generally stayed out the Caldecott race, the award for the most distinguished picture book.  I tend to enjoy books that are a little sillier and giggle inducing.  However the 2013 winner, This Is Not  My Hat, was pretty exciting for me.  It nailed the deadpan humor and the illustrations were spot on.

Today I have a picture book I enjoyed that just may be a contender.  While it is not filled with side splitting humor, it does have an intelligent sense of it's audience and it will put a smile on your face.   You and your child just might find a giggle escaping while you are being wowed by some brilliant artwork.   Not a bad way to end the day.

Don't forget to Follow One Great Book on Facebook, Twitter, Google + and Pinterest for all the books that are in contention for a big shinny award, that your kids will actually enjoy.  Hey, it does happen from time to time.

Title:       Three Bears in a Boat

Author:  David Soman

Target:   Kindergarten - Grade 2

What this book is about: 
Three siblings, Dash, Charlie and Theo break their mother’s beloved blue shell in their quest to reach the honey pot.  This story chronicles their journey as they sail to a distant island to find a replacement, only to find that doing the right thing at home brings them the greatest success.

Why I love this book:  
Well for starters, the watercolors in this book are breathtaking.  They evoke these wonderful images of vastness, peril and serenity.  Some of the best I have seen in recent memory.  It is always important to expose your kids to beautiful artwork, and with this book you can check that one off your list.

I am also a fan of the humor in the book.  If you read this blog, you know that for me, a picture book without humor is a dud.   The humor here is intelligent.  Much has been made out of the other bears in boats they encounter on their journey and their references to literary works, but it is the clever turn of phrase in this story that gets me every time, especially at the end.  My children caught a few of them and giggled knowingly.

Who this book is for: 
Young kids will miss some of the humor so I would lean towards older kids for this story.   The best part is that as a parent, you will enjoy reading it too.

Final thoughts:  
This is a smart, funny, beautiful book.  If I had to put my money on a Caldecott winner, this would be it.

To purchase this book:
Click on the following link to connect to Amazon: Three Bears in a Boat  A portion of each purchase goes to support this blog.  Thank you for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment