Friday, October 16, 2015

Fun Historical Fiction for Kids

Confession time!  I loved this book because it reminded me of the books I enjoyed reading as a preteen.  While I was very academic at school, in my free time I loved the idea of going back to another period of time, and if I happened to meet a cute boy along the way, all the better!

Don't forget to Follow One Great Book on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and by email so that you won't miss any of the books that make historical fiction fun and whimsical.

Title: Colonial Madness

Author: Jo Whittemore

Target: Grade 4-7

Series: No

What this book is about: 
Tori’s dad is dead and her mom is trying to make ends meet with her dress shop.  When Tori’s great aunt dies, she leaves a big estate behind, and the recipient is the family member who can survive two weeks living as they did in colonial times, when the manner was constructed.  Tori and her mom give the contest a shot, but living without modern conveniences is not as easy as it sounds.  Between the hunting and gathering, the candle making, and the use of corn cob toilet paper, they will have to rely on all their resources to make it through and beat the other family members.  Oh, and did I mention the smell!

Why I love this book: 
Ok, this book is preteen cotton candy, but the best, most fun cotton candy.  One very redeeming quality to the story was that kids will learn about life in colonial times, without even realizing it!  There are plenty of historically accurate details that are well integrated into the story line.

I thought the mother/daughter scenes were well done.  It was nice to see a mother and daughter who generally got along and liked each other, with just the right amount of conflict thrown in. Because let’s face it, no mother daughter relationship is seamless.  

Some innocent romance along with a competition make this book ideal for the age group.

Who this book is for: 
Great for girls who are looking for a fun beach type read.

Final thoughts: 
Just the kind of book I would have loved in between required reading at school when I was a kid.

To purchase this book:
Click on the following link to connect to Amazon: Colonial Madness  A portion of each purchase will go to support this blog at no cost to you.  Thank you for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment