Monday, October 19, 2015

The Norse Gods Have Their Day

I typically don't review books that are well known.  You come to this blog to find new stories that will encourage your kids to read, and giving you a list of bestsellers isn't introducing you or your children to something you didn't already know about.

However, today I am making an exception.  Yes, I am reviewing the new novel by Rick Riordan.  The reason - it is based on Norse Mythology!  Can I say that again?   Norse Mythology!  Since I am Norwegian, and my name comes from the Goddess of Love and Beauty I have been well versed in this subject matter since I was young.  What a treat to see it get the attention it deserves.  Oh, those Roman and Greek Gods have had their day.  It is time to step aside and let their brethren from the North come down and show them how it is done.

Don't forget to Follow One Great Book on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or by email so that you won't miss any books where Norwegians rule!  No, not biased here.

Title: Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard

Author: Rick Riordan

Target: Grade 5-9

Series: Yes

What this book is about: 
Magnus Chase lost his mother two years ago and has never known his father.  He is living on the streets.  When he discovers that a long lost Uncle is looking for him, he is wary.  His mother always told him to steer clear of this family relative.  But his Uncle Randolf finds him and starts telling him that he is the son of a Norse God and that he must claim  his birthright, a sword that will keep the world from doomsday.  He wants to believe that his Uncle is nuts, but it all rings too true.  The next thing he knows he is falling to his death after a battle with the Lord of the Fire Giants, but really this is just the beginning.

Why I love this book: 
Norse mythology …. finally!  I grew up on this stuff so what a delight to see it weaved into a funny and heart pounding story.  Of course any book that has a chapter called “Freya is Pretty!” is already ten steps ahead in my book.

Since I already had a knowledge base of Norse mythology, all the different worlds and gods were a little easier to follow.  I think that someone new to this information will have to refer back to the glossary for the first half of the book until the names and narratives sink in, but Riordan repeats quite a bit to give first timers a chance to catch up.

This book is just as funny, sarcastic and at times irreverent as the Percy Jackson series, so fans will not be disappointed.  The action is nonstop so it is a fun ride.

Who this book is for: 
It follows the same story arch as Percy Jackson, so fans of that series will enjoy this one as well.

Final thoughts: 
If your kids read this book and get interested in Norse Mythology, I highly recommend D'Aulaires' Book of Norse Myths .  This is the book I grew up with and you can see my dog eared copy published in 1967!

To purchase this book:
Click on the following link to connect to Amazon: Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, Book 1: The Sword of Summer  A portion of each purchase will go back to support this blog at no cost to you.  Thank you for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment