Friday, October 2, 2015

This Book Will Have Your Kids Giggling

I thought I would end this early chapter book week on a classic of sorts.  This book has been around a while, but there is a reason it never goes out of style.  Roddy Doyle has written an extremely funny story that will have you and your child giggling without restraint.  Now how fabulous is that?

Don't forget to Follow One Great Book on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and by email so that you won't miss a single book that your child will thank you for getting ... yes actually thank you.

Title: The Giggler Treatment

Author: Roddy Doyle

Target: Kindergarten - Grade 3

Series: No

What this book is about: 
Gigglers are small creatures who exact revenge on adults who have been mean to children by putting dog poo in their path.  When the Gigglers see Mr. Mack being unkind to his sons they set their revenge in motion.  But it turns out that they left the scene too soon and that Mr. Mack actually doesn’t deserve it!  Now the race is on to stop the unsuspecting Mr. Mack from stepping in a steaming pile of the stuff.  Can he be saved?

Why I love this book: 
This book had me laughing out loud in a restaurant the other day.  It is absolutely that funny.  When my son came home one day telling me that his librarian had been reading this one and that it was soooo funny, I knew I had to put it on my list.  I just didn’t know it would take me years to get to it.  What a shame for me!

Let’s face it, poo is funny.  If you don’t think poo can be funny, you really shouldn’t have had children.  But I will give you that it has to be done well, and Roddy Doyle is a poo master.

What Doyle does so well in this book is to draw out the anticipation of the impeding foot landing in the large mess inducing mountain of excrement.  Chapters are interrupted with background information, the Gigglers cut in with their countdown to when his shoe will hit the stuff and of course the race to save him means a shortcut which is anything but.  In fact, I think the whole story takes place over a ten second period of time, but boy is that a funny and exciting ten seconds!

Who this book is for: 
Fabulous read aloud or great for kids who have moved up from early readers.  But they have to enjoy laughing!

Final thoughts: 
Please go out and read this one with your kids.  You will be their hero.

To purchase this book:
Click on the following link to connect to Amazon: The Giggler Treatment  A portion of each purchase will go back to support this blog at no cost to you.  Thank you for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment