Friday, February 26, 2016

Spark Creativity in Girls

I get a lot of requests from publisher and PR companies to review books.  I rarely accept for two reasons.  First off I don't review books, I recommend the books I think kids will most enjoy.  So if I read something and I hate it, there is no reason for me to bother you with a book you will never pick up.  But I also find that if a book falls into my gray area where I am not sure if I will recommend it or not, I tend to give books I have been given a more favorable review.  So to avoid any bias, I rarely say yes.

Well, this is one of the few times I grabbed a book from a publisher sight unseen.  I just had a feeling that it would be perfect for tween girls, and thankfully I couldn't have been more correct.  This book didn't fall into my grey area, it fell squarely into my must have pile and my daughter confirmed that when she set to work doodling away as soon as I gave it to her.

Don't forget to Follow One Great Book on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or by email so that you won't miss the best gifts to get for tweens that they will actually enjoy and you will feel good about.  I love a win/win!

Title: Girl Plus Pen

Author: Stephanie Corfee

Target: Grades 3 - 8

Series: No

What this book is about:
This is a book that helps kids explore their doodling style.  The author has given them plenty of doodles to inspire them and then provided ways to create art using those doodles.  The instructions include swirls and patterns as well as how to transform lettering, flowers and objects.  She shows girls how to make everything prettier and more interesting with their artistic flair.

Why I love this book:

  • Who doesn't love a book that will keep girls occupied for hours using only a pen and piece of paper?             
  • I was amazed at all the designs my daughter created and she was inspired by the objects around her.  She created this doodle after being inspired by a mirror in the condo where we were staying while we skied.
  • This is a fabulous gift for tweens for birthdays or even upcoming Easter baskets.   I will be giving this to my daughters friends for parties wrapped up with some cool pens and pencils.

Who this book is for:
Any girl who is interested in art.  Because it is doodling, girls can have limited talent and still create really amazing things, because lets face it, not all kids are amazing artist, but we do want to nurture their creative side.

Final thoughts:
This is not a coloring book or a finish the drawing tome.  This book is a lovely way to spark a creative flair in readers to swish, swirl and stripe their way to creative designs.

To purchase this book:
Click on the following link to connect to Amazon: Girl Plus Pen: Doodle, Draw, Color, and Express Your Individual Style (Craft It Yourself)  A portion of each purchase goes to support this blog at no cost to you.  Thank you for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment