Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Cybils Finalists

Happy New Year!  I am thrilled to be writing again.  After a terrible bout of pneumonia coupled with the holidays, I never thought I would be coherent again, but time (and a lot of prescription drugs) cured me and now I have fun news to share.

As some of you may know I am a finalist judge for the Early Reader/Chapter Books for the Cybils, the internet book awards.  A terrific team has spent the last month reading just about every early reader/chapter book written this year and has narrowed the field down to the best of the best.  I am able to share their wise and judicious choices with you today - yes the powers that be have given me the green light.

My lovely team will be selecting the finalist in each category.  Also, make it a resolution to visit the Cybils website to see the finalist in all categories, from Picture Books to Young Adult.  They represent clever and reader friendly choices for your kids.  Now come on, that is one resolution I am sure you can keep!

Easy Reader Short List




1. Yes, the latest by Kevin Henkes.  This guy can make security blankets and thirteen letter names into stories that kids want to hear over and over again.  Is there nothing this man can't do?





2. Surprise .... Mo Willems.  Nuff said.




3.  Well, for fans of this size challenged duo, giraffe and turtle there is misadventure afoot again.  Will they learn all they need to in school, or will confusion reign?  No I'm not telling, you have to read it to find out.





4.  With guaranteed guffaws, this clever take on Little Red Riding Hood follows our big bad wolf who appears to be chocking on something .... or is it someone?  Dum dum dum!




5.  Ok, I challenge you to find a dry eye in the house after this poignant love story.  Romeo and Juliet, meet ballon and kite.




6.  And to round out the category, The Meanest Birthday Girl.  Who knew an elephant with pink toenails could be both the best and worst birthday present ever?  You did, well show off!


Early Chapter Books Short List




1.  I think Dragonbreath #9 may be the best one yet.  What kid wouldn't be outraged by a missing set of giant dentures?  Let the hunt begin.



2.  For every girl who wants to read the most books for the reading contest and win the big prize ... this is my, I mean your book!




3. Lulu is my go to gal for kids who are animal lovers.  A Dr. Doolittle for the new millennium.




4. I am looking forward to this book.  This is the one series I have only limited experience with so I can't wait to discover what Violet is all about!





5. I love this new series.  It reminds me of the ghost stories we would tell around the campfire when we were kids.  This book should definitely come with a big blanket and a flashlight.




6.  This new series from the author of The Winnie Years gives a little brother his voice.  Turns out he is a penguin thief, but we can't all be perfect.


No comments:

Post a Comment