Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Salem Hyde Is a Bewitching Early Reader

Ok, I am cheating a little today.  Thursday is when I post graphic novels, but today I had an early reader, which is also a graphic novel that I wanted to share, so I am kind of breaking my own rules.  I tell you, there is no stoping me these days.  You just never know what to expect ... craaaazy!

Don't forget to Like One Great Book on Facebook and Twitter for all the rule breaking posts you can handle.

Title:       Salem Hyde: Spelling Trouble

Author:   Frank Cammuso

Target:    Grades 1-4

Series:     This is the first book in a planned series

What this book is about: 
Salem is a precocious, strong willed girl, who also happens to be a witch.  Since her parents are mere mortals, they get her an animal companion to help her manage her not so hidden talents.  When Salem mistakes the spelling bee for the “spelling” bee (get it - cast a spell) her lack of training in magical spell casting becomes evident.

Why I love this book: 
I liked Salem.  She is a no apologies kind of girl who needs just as much love as the rest of us.  By the end I was a fan.

The graphics are also well done and easy to read.

Who this book is for:
For kids who like graphic novels.  Since Salem is not girly, both boys and girls should enjoy this series.

Final thoughts: 
My kids loved Frank Cammuso’s Knights of the Lunch Table series, and I think this one will do well.

To purchase this book:
Click on the following link to connect to Amazon: The Misadventures of Salem Hyde: Book One: Spelling Trouble  A portion of each purchase goes to support this blog at no cost to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment