Thursday, January 23, 2014

Great Graphic Novels for Teen Girls

Today is big.  You get two books from me.  Now that I am posting daily during the week, I have to be very judicious about not giving too many books away in one post.  I mean, who wants to be staring at a post with nothing but my musings because I have run out of books?   Not you. Let's face it - it wouldn't be pretty

But this week I had two graphic novels that just felt right together.  I think we tend to associate graphic novels with reluctant readers and therefore by default -  boys.  However, as I have continued to preach, this genre has gotten so good in the last few years that there is something for everyone.  The books I am looking at today are for middle school girls and they are funny and insightful.  So get out and grab your girls some delightful graphic novels.  The ones I suggested would be nice.

Don't forget to Like One Great Book on Facebook and/or Twitter.  You never know when I might pull two books out again and you don't want to miss it.

Title:       Friends with Boys

Author:    Faith Erin Hicks

Target:    Grades 6-9

Series:     No

What this book is about:
Maggie is starting at a new high school, after being home schooled her whole life.  The title refers to her three older brothers who are her only real friends up to this point.  She has to find the courage to make new friends and manage a new school environment.  Oh, and one more thing!  There seems to be a ghost that has started following her around, showing up when family problems occur!

Why I love this book:
I thought this was a lovely book.  I completely felt Maggie’s angst at starting a new school, and the author did this with some incredible artwork.  Her brothers were really well done, with twins trying to find their own identities and an oldest brother who has found his place in the theater.  The ghost was the only thing I found a bit confusing, but it didn’t take away from the story.

Who this book is for:
Girls making the change to middle school or high school will be able to relate to Maggie.

Final thoughts:
A realistic graphic novel that uses artwork so effectively to tell Maggie’s story.

To purchase this book:
Click on the following link to connect to Amazon: Friends with Boys  A portion of each purchase goes to support this blog at no cost to you.


Title:       The Adventures of Superhero Girl

Author:   Faith Erin Hicks

Target:    Grades 6 and up

Series:     No

What this book is about:
Superhero girl was originally a web comic that was turned into a book.  Superhero girl is a crime fighting superhero in a small Canadian city.  The only problem is that there is a noticeable absence of crime.  Well, there is also the problem of Superhero girl just having moved away from home and she has to navigate living on her own.  Shrinking her cape in the laundry is not her finest moment.  And then there is the issue of a completely convincing back story.  I mean, aren’t superheroes supposed to have dead parents, or suffer freak lab accidents?

Why I love this book:
I absolutely love the tongue and cheek humor that fills this book.  It is not exactly a parody of superheroes, but more of a humorous take on the realities of being a new girl in the city and not quite being able to master your job.  

I love that superhero girl is strong, funny, facing her challenges and a real person all at the same time.  This is a female superhero that I can really get behind.

Who this book is for:
Since Superhero Girl is in her early twenties, she does go out for a drink and she kicks some butt, so this is probably not appropriate for kids before middle school.  But to be frank, I think you need to be a little older to really appreciate the intelligent humor.

Final thoughts:
Being a superhero in the big city is no picnic!

To purchase this book:
Click on the following link to connect to Amazon: The Adventures of Superhero Girl  A portion of each purchase goes to support this blog at no cost to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment