Tuesday, January 14, 2014

My Favorite Early Chapter Book Series

Yes, today I am sharing one of my favorite things - a fabulous early chapter book.  Zeke Meeks is one of those lovely finds that gets kids to see the humor and fun in books.  I hope your kids enjoy Zeke as much as my family has.

Don't forget to like One Great Book on Facebook or Twitter for more early chapter books that will get your kids chuckling, and isn't that just the best?

Title:       Zeke Meeks vs. the Horrifying TV-Turnoff Week

Author:   D. L. Green

Target:    Grades 1-3

Series:     Yes

What this book is about: 
In this particular episode, Zeke is forced to endure a week of no TV,  computer or electronic games for his school’s “Turn Off Week.”  While the premise is not new and of course we find that the kids have a positive experience playing outside and going to museums, Zeke is absolutely perfect as a kid who has to “endure” the loss of his favorite forms of entertainment.

Why I love this book:
Right now this series is one of my absolute favorites for early readers.  I dare any kid not to love Zeke, ok I will even double dog dare you.  Yep, I’m feeling confident.  Zeke behaves like a real kid, with his favorite mantra for the week being “I’m bored.” 

His little sister is absolutely perfect in her charm and annoyance.  The songs she sings non stop from the Princess Sing Along show are positively giggle inducing.  I mean what kid can resist “Don’t walk outside in your bare feet, la la la.  There could be dog doo in the street, la la la.”  I have to admit that my daughter and I laughed at every one.

Who this book is for: 
Any kid who likes to laugh.  These are as close to a guaranteed hit as I can give you.  Type is large and pictures are liberally scattered throughout, although not on every page.

Final thoughts:
I hope Zeke gets more love in the early chapter book category.  These stories are clever, true to life and absolute hilarious.

To purchase this book:
Click on the following link to connect to Amazon: Zeke Meeks vs the Horrifying TV-Turnoff Week  A portion of each purchase goes back to support this blog at no cost to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment