Thursday, February 13, 2014

The Baby-Sitters Club is a Graphic Novel

Graphic novel Thursday is in full swing this week.  Today I am looking at a remake of a classic from my childhood ... The Babysitter's Club.  Scholastic hired the very talented Raina Telgemeier, author of Smile, to adapt these books into a graphic novel format.  She has been able to modernize these stories, without loosing the heart of the series.  I just hope they get her to do more than four!

Don't forget to Like One Great Book on Facebook and Twitter for all the fabulous remakes of books we loved as kids.  Let's face it, it is the only way we can get our kids to read them.  I mean Kristy in cullots, clogs and a scrunchy may have been hip when I was young, but it is not doing anything for your daughter.

Title:             The Baby-Sitters Club: Mary Anne Saves the Day

Author:        Ann M. Martin

Adapted by: Raina Telgemeier

Target:          Grades 3-6

Series:           Yes

What this book is about: 
In this particular installment, the girls in the Baby-Sitter Club get into a huge fight.  Mary Anne is left to figure out how to make new friends, deal with her overprotective father and solve a babysitting crisis.  Can the girls make up and can the club survive if they don’t?  I hate to give it away, but it all works out.  Why leave you hanging?  It just seemed cruel.

Why I love this book: 
I remember this series from when I was young.  Teaming up with the very talented Raina Telgemeier, the author of Smile, was a brilliant stroke by Scholastic.  She is able to modernize and update these treasured stories from our youth so that our daughters actually want to read them.

Raina’s illustrations are always spot on and they bring so much to the stories.  These are a fun read even twenty years later.

Who this book is for: 
Girls who realistic fiction will enjoy these.  I think most girls will still warm to these close knit friends.

Final thoughts: 
These are cute graphic novels that breath a renewed life into the series.  Could Sweet Valley High be next?

To purchase this book:
Click on the following link to connect to Amazon: The Baby-Sitters Club: Mary Anne Saves The Day (BSC Graphix)  A portion of each purchase goes to support this blog at no cost to you.

1 comment:

  1. Good one. I really liked your way of presenting synopsis. I am usually interested in these books because I provide services of baby sitting at babysittersregistry .com. Waiting for more from your side.

    ReplyDelete