Thursday, September 11, 2014

Almost Super is 100% Terrific

It is such a treat for me when I find a book that both my 12 year old robotics loving son and my 10 year old soccer playing daughter can both agree is great.  It takes a talented individual to produce such a book!  I guess we know Marion Jensen's superpower!  Not only is this book funny, but it is filled with great little inside jokes that my kids have truly enjoyed sharing with each other.  This book is a can't miss.

Don't forget to Follow One Great Book on Facebook, Twitter, Google + and Pinterest for all the books that bring families together.  See, this blog is better than therapy.

Title:      Almost Super

Author:  Marion Jensen

Target:   Grades 3-7

Series:    Yes

What this book is about: 
Imagine being born into the Baileys, a super hero family.  After your twelfth birthday you get your super power to help in the fight against the Johnsons, a family of super villains.  You have been dreaming of this moment.  Will you be imparted with supper strength, the ability to read minds or will you shoot water out of your palms? When the time arrives you learn you can, wait for it …… turn your innie belly button into an outie?  Oh, something has gone terribly wrong.  And this is only the beginning of the mix ups occurring for these newly minted “almost superheroes.”

Why I love this book:  
Let me count the ways.  First off both my 12 year old son and 10 year old daughter LOVED this book.  Getting them to agree on a story is almost unheard of.  But this book is so darn funny that they were both laughing while reading.

Which brings me to another reason I loved the book.  Despite the fact that I knew the story before I started, that my kids had read me excerpts aloud of the funny party, and that I knew all the zany powers these kids get, I laughed every time.  Couldn’t help it.  This guy does silly humor in a smart way.  Bravo!

Who this book is for: 
I think it would be harder to find a kid who doesn’t like this book.  Most kids should love the clever humor.

Final thoughts: 
The next book is not out until 2015.  I really need the power of time travel!

To purchase this book:
Click on the following link to connect to Amazon: Almost Super  A portion of each purchase goes to support this blog at no cost to you.  Thank you for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment