Monday, September 8, 2014

Perfect Picture Book for Girls

I am going to start the week off with a fabulous picture book.  My job should be to make sure there are no age restrictions on these books.  I mean come on, you can still catch me eating an ice cream cone with sprinkles, why not a picture book?

These books are nuggets of wisdom that remind us to laugh, evoke what is really important and provide insight into how we think and act.  With humor comes some truth, so that is why the best picture books always have to have a giggle factor and some sprinkles of wisdom!

Don't forget to Follow One Great Book on Facebook, Twitter, Google + and Pinterest for all the picture books you need to get for your girls.  Yes, they need this book!

Title:       Uni the Unicorn

Author:  Amy Krouse Rosenthal

Target:   Preschool - age 99

What this book is about: 
Uni is a typical unicorn.  Uni has a magnificent mane, golden hooves and can make wishes come true.  However, there is one thing that sets Uni apart from the other unicorns …. Uni believes that little girls are real - gasp!  Uni dreams of all the things they can do together which of course involves a lot of rainbows.  What Uni doesn’t know is that somewhere not so far away, there is a little girl who believes in Uni.

Why I love this book: 
I have made no secret on this blog about how much I love this author.  Amy Krouse Rosenthal is the writer I want to be when I grow up.  Her books are brilliant, deceptively simple in their humor and wonderful in their clever word choices. (yes Amy, we notice!)  This book is both laugh inducing and touching, which the best books so often are.

I have to admit that I love the choice of illustrators for this endeavor.  Typically Rosenthal’s books have much simpler design aesthetics - think Little Pea, this plus that (a personal favorite) or Exclamation Mark.  However, Brigette Barrager has created a retro golden book design feel that makes the message feel rooted in past sensibilities without being old fashioned.

Who this book is for: 
Great for any little girl who wants to believe, and who loves to laugh.

Final thoughts: 
I believe Amy Krouse Rosenthal … I believe.

To purchase this book:
Click on the following link to connect to Amazon: Uni the Unicorn  A portion of each purchase will go back to support this blog at no cost to you.  Thank you for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment