Monday, September 29, 2014

Book for Your Video Game Loving Child

Ok, truth time.  I don't love all the books that I recommend, but I do try and recommend books that will get kids excited about reading.  Somedays, like today, I find a book that kids will love, parent's won't object to but that didn't really do anything for me.  So be it.  My job is not give you the books I can't live without, but to give your kids books that will develop their love of reading.

Don't forget to Follow One Great Book on Facebook, Twitter, Google + and Pinterest for all the books you are happy just to put in the hands of your kids.  Admit it ... it's a lot better than a gaming device!

Title:       Game Over, Pete Watson

Author:  Joe Schreiber

Target:   Grade 4-6

Series:    No

What this book is about: 
Pete loves video games, and what a surprise … his parents are less than thrilled.  When the new Brawl-A-Thon 3000 comes out, Pete just has to have it, but his bank account is a little low on funds.  With his parent’s out of the house he decides to stage a garage sale of all the old things they no longer use to get more cash.  However, when he sells his dads old CommandRoid 85, a video console from the 80s, to a rather shady looking character, strange things start to happen.  Could there be more to this old console than meets the eye? 

Why I love this book: 
Ok, let me say first off that I did not love this book, but your video game loving son will.  It has all the silly jokes and level ups that make this a read perfect for kids who would rather be gaming.  For an adult, this book is less than stellar, but we are definitely not the target audience.  Nothing objectionable here, it is just meant for a 4-6 grade boy.

The one thing I did enjoy were the video references to the 80s, when I grew up.  Yes, I was the proud owner of Pong and my video games looked just as ancient.  Oh the memories.

Who this book is for: 
I think we have that covered, but to repeat, video game loving boys.

Final thoughts: 
The only thing better than playing video games is reading a book about playing video games!

To purchase this book:
Click on the following link to connect to Amazon: Game Over, Pete Watson  A portion of each purchase will go back to support this blog at no cost to you.  Thank you for your support.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, but didn't you love the retired language arts teacher who traveled around with her Warriner's English grammar? This may be proof that I have, in fact, turned into a 12-year-old boy in my reading habits, because I rather liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an excellent review for a book you didn't love. I don't list anything on my Goodreads if it's 2 stars or less. And I usually feel like I've wasted my time with a book that bad. But I appreciate how you have recognized that Game Over still appeals to video game loving boys (and Ms. Yingling, haha) even if you it didn't appeal to you.

    ReplyDelete