Wednesday, September 10, 2014

You Can't Miss The Brilliant World of Tom Gates

Well, I thought you would have to go to London to enjoy the book I purchased there a few weeks ago, but low and behold, when I arrived back in the States it had just been released here.  I wish I could say it was all part of a clever marketing ploy, but in this case it was just dumb luck.  So save yourself the airfare and enjoy the antics of Tom Gates right here at home.

Don't forget to Follow One Great Book on Facebook, Twitter, Google + and Pinterest for all the books you don't have to fly 5,000 miles to buy.  Now if only someone had told me that before I left.

Title:       The Brilliant World of Tom Gates

Author:   L. Pichon

Target:    Grades 3-6

Series:     Yes

Winner of the Roald Dahl Prize

What this book is about: 
Tom is a mischievous kid who is consistently late for school, loves to annoy his sister, and isn’t the best at getting his homework done.  And yet, he is completely appealing and kids will love reading about his antics, his feud with Marcus Meldrew and his attempts to impress the very smart Amy Porter.  Following the life of Tom is anything but boring.

Why I love this book: 
Well I found this book at a bookstore in London, and because it won the Roald Dahl prize I had to pick it up.  For those not familiar with this award it is bestowed upon the funniest kid books of the year.  How great are the British - an award for funny books.  I love it.  

Filled with illustrations on every page, this book is reminiscent of Diary of a Wimpy kid in style.  I have to admit that I thought I would be annoyed by Tom’s behavior, but he is just plain charming and well written.  Pichon has certainly created a humorous character that is guaranteed to please.

Who this book is for: 
Based on format, kids who like Diary of Wimpy Kid books will gravitate to this one.  With the plethora of illustrations it will appeal to even the reluctant reader.

Final thoughts: 
Tom is a fun, well written character that will tickle your funny bone.  However, this is one kid I would prefer not to have in my class.

To purchase this book:
Click on the following link to connect to Amazon: The Brilliant World of Tom Gates  A portion of each purchase goes to support this blog at no cost to you.  Thank you for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment