Friday, June 20, 2014

Frosting and Friendship is a Winning Book Combination

I am adding another book to the baking/friendship list.  It seems the day that cupcake shops came into vogue was the day that books about girls baking cupcakes started spewing out of the publisher's printing presses.

Each series has a little different take, and I focused on this one today because I liked the messages of multitasking.  A kid's day is so full of activities, and the expectations are so high on their performance, that it is nice to see a book that shows how much kids struggle to keep everyone happy. I think more girls will see themselves in this book than I would like to admit!

Don't forget to Like One Great Book on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Google + for all the cupcake books you (or I) can stomach.

Title:       Frosting and Friendship

Author:  Lisa Schroeder

Target:   Grade 3-6

Series:   There are two companion books but they do not have to be read in order

What this book is about: 
Lily is not a baker but she does love to sing.  When her good friend starts a mother/daughter book club and calls it the Baking Bookworms, Lily decides she can try and improve her baking skills, which seems a whole lot better than being left out.  The problem (and yes there always is one) is that trying to be a better baker takes time away from her band and they need her full attention.  With only so much time in the day, how can she keep everyone, including herself, happy?

Why I love this book: 
This was a cute story about not being able to do it all.  Lilly is a good kid who is trying to please everyone.  I felt for Lilly who wanted to try and make things great for all her friends. 

The book is well written for this genre of girl friendship/baking books.  Although, I had no doubt they would work it all out in the end, I think girls will appreciate not wanting to let anything opportunity go and trying to multitask. 

Who this book is for: 
Girls who like The Cupcake Diaries, which also focuses each book on a different friend, will find this series a pleasure. 

Final thoughts: 
They have a chocolate no bake cookie recipe in the back I think my daughter and I will try this weekend.  Just stir and go - right up my baking alley.  Perhaps Lily and I have more in common than I realized (except the singing - my family forbids me to do that.)

To purchase this book:
Click on the following link to connect to Amazon: Frosting and Friendship  A portion of each purchase goes to support this blog at no cost to you.  Thank you for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment