Thursday, June 12, 2014

The Fly is an Engrossing Book for Kids

Today you will note that I have my finger on the pulse of what is cool, hip and totally engrossing for kids - the housefly!  I know what you're thinking ... good call Freya.

Well, I may not always get them right, but today I can tell you that most kids will beg you to read this story with them again and again.  Let's face it, after reading this book you will know that a book about houseflies is a lot better than the real thing.

Don't forget to Like One Great Book on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Google + for all the best information on annoying insects.  I'm here for you.

Title:       Disgusting Creatures: The Fly

Author:  Elise Gravel

Target:   Kindergarten - Grade 3

Series:   Yes

What this book is about: 
This book is about the common housefly.  The female is slightly bigger than the male (Ha!)  The female fly can lay over one hundred eggs (say hello to your 98 baby brothers and sisters!)  The fly has repulsive taste in food (garbage juice soup anyone?)   Kids will learn the basics of this annoying household pest, which will probably be no more welcome in your home after reading this book - they really can be disgusting!

Why I love this book: 
I was wandering through the bookstore when this book caught my eye.  The first thing that drew me in were the wonderful graphics.  They have a European flair and I found this book was initially published in French (aren’t I smart) - in Canada (ok, perhaps not so much!)  Oh well, I was close.  If not European, at least International. 

The second thing that kept me reading was the humor.  Elise Gravel has quite the funny bone.  The little sarcastic quips throughout the telling of the life of the fly made me forget I was actually learning about a fairly gross, disease carrying insect. Kids will giggle their way through this fact based book.  It was a favorite for my kids.

Who this book is for: 
I can’t imagine a kid not enjoying this book.  Elise Gravel really does make flies fun.

Final thoughts: 
A reviewer on Amazon did note two errors in the book which I think occurred in translation.  The first was referring to a spider as an insect and the second was incorrectly labeling the mom fly as the smaller one in an illustration.  I hope that the publisher corrects these in the next printing.

To purchase this book:
Click on the following link to connect to Amazon: The Fly (Disgusting Creatures)  A portion of each purchase goes to support this blog at no cost to you.  Thank you for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment