Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Truck Books for Kids

Now that my vehicle obsessed sons are in Middle School and High School, I occasionally forget the frantic search through the library for more books on the subject.  If I had to read one more of those Hot Wheels books I was afraid I might drive right off the cliff.  But I stoically read them for the good of my sons' developing brains and now they seem to be high functioning kids - then again I could be fooling myself.

This of course leads me to investigate fun new truck books that are out there.  I can now enjoy the myriad of articulated dump trucks and front loaders in these stories, because they are not apart of my daily life.  Just a nice memory!  I also get to find some selections that also help your kids with Letters and Counting.  Now how nice is that?

There are two books today so keep scrolling down so you don't miss one.  No favoritism ... I didn't like the first one better.

Don't forget to Like One Great Book on Facebook, Twitter, Google + and Pinterest for all the best truck books I can find to fuel your kid's obsession.  One day you will miss them ... no really.


Title:      Alphabet Trucks


Author:   Samantha Vamos

Target:    Preschool - Kindergarten

What this book is about: 
This is a truck book that introduces vehicles that start with every letter in the alphabet, in a rhyming couplet.  While some of the standard trucks are covered, creativity also abounds with the Knuckle-Boom truck, the Winch Truck and the Lowboy Truck.

Why I love this book:  
My truck loving boys would have read this book ragged.  The variety of vehicles, their originality and the deceptively simple graphics all make this book a winner.  The rhyming struggles a bit at times, but after a few reads, parents should have the cadence down.

I also like that the graphics show both the upper and lower case of the letters of the alphabet (except for Q … I couldn’t find the lower case for Q!)

My one criticism of the book is that the cover is not compelling enough.  While the graphics are quite successful within the story, the book jacket does not draw readers in.  Ignore the cover and start reading, your truck loving kids will catch on right away to the fun of this book.

Who this book is for: 
Great book for kids who love trucks.  Nice alphabet book to help kids identify their letters.

Final thoughts: 
I love it when a book identifies little known trucks!  I thought after two boys I knew them all.  Well played Samantha Vamos!

To purchase this book:
Click on the following link to connect to Amazon: Alphabet Trucks  A portion of each purchase goes to support this blog at no cost to you.  Thank you for your support.




Title:       20 Big Trucks in the Middle of the Street

Author:   Mark Lee

Target:    Preschool - Kindergarten

What this book is about:
One ice cream truck breaks down and starts a traffic jam of epic proportions in the neighborhood.  The story counts down the twenty trucks who are stuck behind it, from cement mixers to tankers to tow trucks.  However, a kid biking by has a clever idea involving the crane truck to solve this tie up, leaving a sweet treat at the end.

Why I love this book:
First off it is a wonderful book for kids who just like identifying trucks and their loads.  Then the book also brings in the counting component by counting down the twenty trucks as they get stuck.  My favorite shot is the arial view where kids can count down the twenty trucks in total.  

It is also lovely that a kid solves the problem.  It’s nice when books empower kids, and they certainly like it when they prove smarter than the adults around them!

Who this book is for:
Oh, definitely truck lovers


Final thoughts:
Another one my boys would have left dog eared if it had been around when they were young.

To purchase this book:
Click on the following link to connect to Amazon: Twenty Big Trucks in the Middle of the Street  A portion of each purchase goes back to support this blog at no cost to you.  Thank you for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment